Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assure me this is normal please!

Default Assure me this is normal please!

My 4 mo is on poop strike day number 7. My older daughter did the exact same thing at this age and I was told it was normal. She is exclusively breastfed.. She has been very happy up until tonight. My husband said she screamed "bloody murder" for almost 2 hours and finally fell asleep. He gave her her normal 4oz bottle (breastmilk) and that didn't soothe her. He said she seemed to be in pain. I didn't witness it and she is sleeping soundly now.
    No fever, belly is soft, seemingly comfortable. Also, She has had wretched gas in the past few days; smells as foul as it gets.

Normal or calling pediatrician in the morning??? I say normal and she'll poop soon, but need some reassurance. Last BM she went 6 days before going, and before that she was an everyday girl.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.
    Sydney and like crazy while holding down a busy full time job!

Default Re: Assure me this is normal please!

I'd say normal. It's normal for an EBF baby to go a week, sometimes 2, between poops. When they go a week between poops, the toots could choke a goat.

The only thing that would concern me would be the inconsolable crying. There are a lot of reasons why a baby may cry like that- teething and ear infections or some other illness spring to mind- but if the crying coincided with baby appearing to be straining to poop, then maybe it would be time to at least phone the doc.

Have you tried popping her in a warm, relaxing bath? My older kid always let fly in the tub.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal you are so mean for suggesting letting babies poop in the tub.
    Totally normal. As is the foul smelling gas. It's passing the poop that's been accumulating up there for the last week. So yeah whenever babies hold it, it STINKS.

Way too lazy for formula

You mean you don't relish the idea of a bathtub swirling with poop confetti? Jeez, I thought you were all open-minded and stuff...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Yeah no. I am not very open minded about poop. And I certainly don't approve of you ENCOURAGING blow outs in the bath tub. . The OP is gonna have enough to deal with in a DIAPER. Much less trying to keep it out of her Drain. Did you hear her? DAY SEVEN!

Way too lazy for formula

Lol, you guys are cracking me up. Pappa gave her a warm bath (because it was bath night, not for pooping) and all he got were stenchy bubbles! The crying only happened tonight and I did not witness it, so I'm not 100% how bad it was. She's been sleeping soundly for 3 hours now. If the crying continues i'll call ped tomorrow. Thanks!
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.

djs mom, why keep it out of the drain? breastmilk poo would go straight down the drain here, and a shower head is way easier cleanup than a bazillion wipes and a blowout on the couch or whatever.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It won't stay out of the drain here. Because my drain has a strainer thing on it to keep my hair out of it. And then there is Crap in the ring around the tub. Yuck.

Way too lazy for formula

Well, poop strike day 8. Called ped to reassure this is ok. They said if she had another inconsolable screaming episode, they'd want to see her, otherwise 7-10 days could be her norm. She hasn't. Also recommended taking a rectal temp to "stimulate the muscles", and that did not work (although I did not try in the tub as recommended as I too find it pretty icky). She's nursing, taking bottles, sleeping, peeing and otherwise happy as a clam, but she is one big (yet cute) stink-monster.
    I think at this point it makes my belly hurt to know she's gone this long. I'm going to chalk it up to maybe a growth spurt? Thanks for your advice and for the laughs

Let us know how things... Work out. I predict a poopsplosion in the next day or two!