Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! 8 week old not eating normal

Default HELP! 8 week old not eating normal

My son is eight weeks today. For the last several days he has not been eating as he usually has. He shows no signs of hunger and when I do put him to my breast he will only suck for five minutes and then fall asleep or just pacify himself. He typically would eat and eat til he was overfull and barf up what he could not hold. He did have pink eye since Friday and developed a cold/cough/congested since then but is getting better. His diaper output has decreased but is still within the normal range. He is really fussy most of the day and was sleeping a lot until today. Is this because he was ill, is he simply becoming more efficient or is it something else? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: HELP! 8 week old not eating normal

the faster nursing and not spitting up could be just developmentally normal, but the not giving you any feeding cues is unusual. i suggest take a wait and see approach while making sure baby nurses enough overall for health. i bet baby is still not feeling well. just keep allowing baby to nurse whenever he shows the slightest cues and offering gently as well as much as you wish. if you are using them, you could also stop or cut back on pacifiers and/or bottles.

Also, don't be afraid to take the baby in to the doc and have them look in his ears. Ear infections can accompany conjunctivitis, and many babies don't nurse as much when their ears feel yucky.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. The only cue I feel I get is him crying and more than half the time its not because he's hungry. I have been going by the clock over the last day or two thinking that he will eat every three hours at a minimum but even then he doesn't seem to take it like he's really hungry. I'll just go with it for the next couple of days to see if it gets better.

We were just at the ped yesterday to recheck his eyes from the ER visit on Fri night. She found nothing wrong with his ears or anything else. He is REALLY congested tonight tho. I have the humidifier on and I've tried saline drops and an aspirator. I have him propped up on a boppy pillow. Hope to get some sleep tonight...

Hope your LO feels better soon! All you can do is keep offering the breast lots and keep an eye to make sure he's getting enough wet diapers.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

every situation is different but generally i would not suggest watching the clock-unless that is helping you to remember to offer more often...

this info on cueing may help. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf