Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sharp sensations while nursing..

Default Sharp sensations while nursing..

I know what let down is and this is not it!

Just started a few days ago and has gotten more intense since then...while nursing and on BOTH sides, I get this sensation like shards of glass are flowing through my ducts and out of my nipple. So uncomfortable that I have to stop and take a break.

It's aweful and I am still uncomfortable a while after feedings. Kinda burns.
    Any ideas??

Default Re: Sharp sensations while nursing..

This sounds like some sort of infection, probably thrush.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What do I do for thrush? Both baby and I have been taking probiotics for a few days since she ended an antibiotic she had been taking since birth(4 weeks).

Antibiotics would definitely add support to the possibility that this is thrush, since yeast overgrowth is often a consequence of antibiotic use.

This link has everything you never wanted to know about thrush, including how to treat: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/thrush-resources/

If you read through the link and feel like thrush is a good match, call your midwife, obstetrician, or pediatrician and ask to come in. Make sure that whoever you see doesn't simply look in baby's mouth to confirm the diagnosis, since it's common for thrush to present without the "classic" symptom of white, pearly patches in the oral cavity, and also common for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic though both are infected and require treatment.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"