Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preparing for first day trip away from 6 month old

Default Preparing for first day trip away from 6 month old

I'm going to *try* to do a day trip in a couple of months and leave my LO with daddy. This will be the first time that I'll be away from her this long, and I'm already very nervous. She is a huge mama's girl and I've yet to leave her; she's currently 4.5 months. I plan to build up to the trip by leaving her for shorter periods with her dad & close family. If all goes well, I will try it for the day.

Will I need to pump while I'm gone to keep my supply from diminishing?

Default Re: Preparing for first day trip away from 6 month old

How long are you talking about being gone?

If you are going to be gone all day you will most definitely need to pump while you're gone to keep yourself from becoming painfully engorged and possibly getting plugged ducts or mastitis.

If you're nervous about it is there a reason you feel like you need to do it? If there is somewhere you need to go can you possibly bring baby with you? Or put off the trip until you're feeling more comfortable about leaving her?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Is this something that you have to do, or something that you're wanting to try just to see how you all do?

I think the concern about being away all day isn't necessarily diminished supply as it is engorgement and discomfort. I usually pump at work but last week, I had to go on the road for a day. I brought my pump and bought an adapter that you plug into the lighter outlet. If you have a hand pump, that would work, too. I basically had to pump every four hours, so once on the way there and once on the way back. I just pulled over, found a discreet bit of parking lot and plugged in.

Honestly, I'm mostly considering this trip to please others who say that I need to start leaving my baby once in a while or else she's never going to get used to it (ie., for when I go back to work, etc). There is a part of me that wants to know that she will be OK if I do leave her for a bit, but really I'm not sure I'm ready for a full day. But most other moms that I know have left their LO's with friends or family by now without incident and I read on here about moms who are back to work by this point so I feel that we should give it a try as well. I'm torn because I want her to be socialized and able to stay with others some, but I am stressed about being away from her & all the 'what ifs' that go along with it.

Of course I would be engorged if I didn't pump! LOL I am so worked up by the thought of leaving her that I didn't even think of this. Thanks ladies.

Don't do it to please others. You'll end up being stressed the whole time you're gone. If you feel like you want to try getting away for a bit, you could go somewhere nearby for a few hours and that way you'll know if you need to get home you can (whether it's because baby needs you or YOU need baby ) You could go sit at a coffee shop and read or go shopping for a few hours or get outside and hike, whatever you enjoy doing.

Many of us went back to work because we had to. Personally if I'd had a choice I would have stayed home with my babies much longer than I did.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for the support. I'm going to see how we're doing with separation in a month or so and decide from there. I am going to also try getting out for an hour or so without the babe to see how we both do & sort of ease into it.

I also have to return to work, luckily not until she's a year old. But I fear that it will be even harder to leave her then if I don't do it from time to time now.