Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this weaning?

Default Is this weaning?

My LO is almost 15 months. Up to now, she has been nursing 8x a day on average. Over the last week, she has not been wanting to nurse as much. When we lay down in "our spot", she rolls off and gets up and gets irritated when I try and lay her down again. She will still nurse during the night, before nap and in the am. Occasionally a few times in between, but often I have to coax her into it. She has all 4 molars and 4 teeth on top front and bottom front, but not her canines yet. COuld she be teething or is this just her weaning? I'm getting so full between feeds, but don't want to pump if this is the natural progression. she's a picky eater, but does eat and will drink from a sippy so I'm not concerned about her getting enough. Anybody else going through this at this age?

Default Re: Is this weaning?

My baby is 13 months and we are experiencing a similar decrease in nursing this past week too. I'm no expert, but I'm just taking a go-with-it approach. I'm not pumping, though have thought of it. My thinking is that I am certainly not withholding milk from him, so am just following his lead. If his lead changes where he want to nurse more, I would assume that as long as I'm still lactating that my body will continue to respond as it always has to increased demand and just make more. And, if this continues, well, as you said, I don't want to keep signaling to my body to make more milk. Even if this is another stage in the weaning process, I'm pretty sure that it does not signal that nursing is about to end completely. The babes are still very young and there are still a good number of nursing sessions happening. Just my thoughts...

Default Re: Is this weaning?

It could be teething, she may have a bug (like my daughter), she may just be temporarily more interested in toys or whatever new skills she's working on, or she may be weaning. There is so much going on in a toddler's world, I find it hard to pinpoint what is going on sometimes. How you handle it depends on how you feel about cutting back her nursing. If she's eating solids and still nursing several times throughout the day, I agree she's probably getting enough. I wouldn't feel the need to "coax" her into nursing more than she wants to unless you are worried about her weaning completely.

In short, this sounds like a normal variation in toddler nursing patterns. Your body will adjust to whatever amount of nursing she is doing. Make sure you're still available for other kinds of snuggles and plenty of play, and you'll be fine.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010