Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Would like to wean...

Default Would like to wean...

Hi,

My daughter will be two in a couple of weeks and while we are still nursing happily, I'm really starting to feel like I'd like to help her wean. For one we are trying for another baby, and I'd like some time not nursing in between. I also have some concern that even though she is not nursing a lot it might be affecting my fertility.

The problem is, she nurses three times a day - first thing in the morning, before nap and before going to sleep at night and I have no idea how I'm ever going to get her to drop one of these. She is a very very dedicated nurser and will not take no for an answer. Is there any hope for dropping one of these nursing sessions without dramatizing her, or am I just stuck waiting for her to decide to do it on her own?

Default Re: Would like to wean...

I'm not sure how to answer you, but you have already started down the weaning path and are well on your way there if she is only nursing three times a day. How did you get her down to those three times a day? Are you asking if there is a way to do it without tears? I weaned my older daughter when I was around 8 months pregnant and she had just turned two years old. She was nursing on demand at the time, but I was able to wean in two or three weeks. There were tears, but I don't think she was traumatized by it.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

The easiest way is preschool. Do you have any plans for that this year? Or at some point after x-ma? Because that is the easiest way I ever found to Skip the morning AND the nap sessions out. We didn't start til my boy was 2.9 year old but it really really cut down nursing A LOT.

Way too lazy for formula

The other nursings I was able to drop fairly easily by distracting her. Doesn't work if I'm trying to go to bed, and the morning nursing is usually around 5 and then we go back to sleep... I could always just get up, but I think that would make life a little worse. I agree that sending her off to preschool would be great at least for the napping one, but I'm a staying at home with her and preschool wont come for a while... She's also very attached to me for falling asleep (bad habit developed from coping with severe reflux) and we cosleep.

Thanks for the feedback so far! Just to clarify the question - I would love any advice on what nursing to drop next and how to do it gently if possible.

Daytime was easiest to drop. Mine didn't nap after 2. Day was easier to distract. Then the morning, because I would just get up, then night was the hardest.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I think you should drop whichever one you feel prepared for. And develop a plan. The thing I learned about weaning with Lilah was that if you really really do want to wean - then the tears are ok. If you're not sure about weaning, it's probably not the right thing to do. Do you think you're more prepared to cope with finding a new way for her to fall asleep at nap or bedtime? Or that you could just get up at 5 am? And what's her favorite food? Maybe you could have that on hand, or her favorite drink - at 5 am and try substituting that. Or perhaps you could work on stopping the nursing/asleep association? Could your husband start putting her to bed at night? That would eliminate the right before bed nursing.

Or, have you seen the Jay Gordon's plan for night-weaning? That has a gentle plan for night-weaning. You could consider the 5 am nursing part of the night. And wow, I can't believe you get to sleep from bedtime to 5 am.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I think you should drop whichever one you feel prepared for. And develop a plan. The thing I learned about weaning with Lilah was that if you really really do want to wean - then the tears are ok. If you're not sure about weaning, it's probably not the right thing to do. Do you think you're more prepared to cope with finding a new way for her to fall asleep at nap or bedtime?
    Couldn't agree more. There's no drama-free way to wean when baby isn't 100% ready, but that doesn't mean you can't wean. Tears won't last forever.

I also agree that if you wean you'll still need to find a way to make your way through those transition times (bed time, nap time, wake-up). Often I think moms wean because they find those transition times frustrating, and they think nursing is the cause of the frustration. But nursing isn't to blame- it's just the easiest way to get through those stressful moments.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"