Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Caked breast / plugged duct - help!

Default Caked breast / plugged duct - help!

Need some quick help. It's my last day of maternity leave and I seem to be on the verge of a plugged duct. Up till 2 days ago i pumped one time one side per day (alternating each day) and BF all day,eve, night as needed. our new nanny and i have been working the transition together and she has given bottles between 10:30 and 3:30 with me BF the rest of the time. I'll always nurse DD morning, eve, night, weekend - anytime when not working, and was trying to ease in to this by having the Nanny do some day feelings to ensure success w/DD, which she's had. I think this happened because A) I'm used to nursing a lot more, like all the time and B) I waited way too long to pump yesterday.

I want to prevent this from escalating so I've just applied a warm compress and pumped. Not much came out and that side has always been the weaker producer. I don't know how fast this can resolve but it's definitely sore and very firm on the underside of the breast so I'm doing more heat now. No redness or other symptoms yet. Is there anything else I should do? This is going to be much harder to address at the office tomorrow but ill bring a heating pad with me in addition to my pump.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Caked breast / plugged duct - help!

The best thing you can do is to do your best to empty the plugged side. Nurse the baby first on that side, nurse her as much as possible, and pump if that isn't doing the trick. Use warm compresses, massage, and moist heat (soaking in bath or shower), wear a comfortable, non-underwire bra or no bra, and stay alert for symptoms of mastitis (redness, pus-y discharge, fever, chills, aches and pains). If you get mastitis symptoms, see the doc and consider skipping your first day back at the office to try to work this out. Your job needs you healthy more than they need you at your desk!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Try a gentle massage while you are applying heat or while you are pumping.

And nurse as much as you can on that side before tomorrow. Baby is MUCH better at resolving plugged ducts than your pump. I'd probably just not pump on that side today and nurse instead if it were me.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    Try a gentle massage while you are applying heat or while you are pumping.

And nurse as much as you can on that side before tomorrow. Baby is MUCH better at resolving plugged ducts than your pump. I'd probably just not pump on that side today and nurse instead if it were me.
    Thank you thank you. It's killing me, the timing of this although I get that it wouldn't have likely happened if I hadn't been starting this transition. I'm at the darn dentist now too so can't resume tackling it until I get back but ill nurse as soon as I get home. This will be my evening mission. I do hate that darn pump. More now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The best thing you can do is to do your best to empty the plugged side. Nurse the baby first on that side, nurse her as much as possible, and pump if that isn't doing the trick. Use warm compresses, massage, and moist heat (soaking in bath or shower), wear a comfortable, non-underwire bra or no bra, and stay alert for symptoms of mastitis (redness, pus-y discharge, fever, chills, aches and pains). If you get mastitis symptoms, see the doc and consider skipping your first day back at the office to try to work this out. Your job needs you healthy more than they need you at your desk!
    Really appreciate the quick response. Trying to address quickly and vigorously and although I googled it, I always like to consult the forum.

I posted a few days ago about a clogged duct. Mine was baaaddd! I was advised to feed my dd with my breast "dangling" over top of her. I got on my hands and knees on the floor and as I nursed her I used a downward massaging and squeezing motion. It worked wonders when I was convinced that nothing else would work! Try it after applying moist warm heat. Good luck!

Ladies. Raced home from an appt I couldn't cancel and nursed my DD. Pain and swelling is GONE. Ill take a bath with her and nurse her thru the eve and overnight. If it's fine tomorrow Ill head to work - hopefully it won't return while I'm pumping thru the day at the office. If it does i'll come home. Thanks for all the support. Mwah.

Yay! Fantastic. Good luck with the first day back, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Update. The pain stayed away after multiple nursing sessions last night and did not return at work today. I will not make the mistake of going too long in between pumping sessions again. That said, despite a really good lactation room situation, my output at work was not what I wanted - 8oz total in 2 double pump sessions, but it took 40 min per session to get that. Luckily I was able to get home early and have our nanny hold on a final feeding. Enabled me to save some of the fridge supply and get a nursing session in / avoid another go at the pump today. My pump may be part of the issue. Need to explore this further.