Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy baby

Default Fussy baby

I am pumping and giving my 3mo old bottles and recently he has been having screaming fits. he arches his back and seems like he is in pain. I can't seem to calm him down any other way than nursing. I asked the ped about it and all she said was to keep nursing him when he gets like that. Could it be reflux?

Default Re: Fussy baby

It could be, but it could also be a lot of other things. Like normal baby fussiness. Or wanting mom, not the bottle.

This link on reflux talks about things you would Want to look for: http://kellymom.com/health/growth/growthcharts/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Is there a reason you're giving him bottles? Has anyone else tried while you're away? Babies oftentimes won't take a substitute when mama is right there.

I have had serious problems nursing. I try to nurse him when I feel like I can but due to a posterior TT and probably a less than perfect latch I have had major scabbing and bleeding. So when I heal a bit we try again and see if we can get the hang of it. He doesn't mind the bottle at all. He just wants milk. I really feel like he would never stop eating if we let him. The fits come after he eats.

I agree with pp, my son won't take a bottle if I give it to him. He pops off and goes for the boob. It could also be a growth spurt or pain with teething. IMO if it was reflux then you would have most likely seen signs earlier though it's not necessarily the case.

One issue with bottle-feeding can be that the baby gets fed very quickly due to the fast flow of milk from the bottle, but because he's a baby he still has a high need to suck even after his hunger needs are met. This is why many nursing babies will hang out at the breast long after they are full. If you cannot bear to let baby nurse, try a pacifier at the conclusion of the feeding. That might enable him to continue to comfort-suck without you needing to nurse and without risking overfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I did switch bottles to the dr. browns and still use a size one nipple. And when I pump I can PROMISE you that my milk comes out at least three times as fast as it does from the bottle. I have an overactive let down and I really have to lean back when he first starts nursing. So I'm not sure that the bottle is the issue. He is a big eater I know that for sure. But maybe it's just a growth spurt? He seems to be getting a little better.