Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing bottle w/ breast milk to a 3 mth old

Default Introducing bottle w/ breast milk to a 3 mth old

Hi my name is Nicole and I need some advice on how to get my baby to eat more breast milk via bottle when I am at work. My first day back to work after maternity leave was yesterday and my 3 month old only ate 3 oz between the hours 9am and 3:30pm. I was able to pump 11oz between that time, so I know he typically eats at least 11 oz during this time frame. I did introduce a bottle with breast milk a few times before I came back to work and he would eat between 1 or 2 oz. I thought he would transition okay, but it seems he has less interest in eating if it’s not directly from the source. He is not fussy, he is just less interested and only eats 1 to 1.5 oz at a time. As of 11:45am today he has had 3oz of breast milk from the bottle...so he is eating more today. My experience and common senses tells me that it will just take some time for him to get used to a bottle and he will eventually eat more......but if anyone has dealt with this before and can offer any advice or helpful ideas I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Default Re: Introducing bottle w/ breast milk to a 3 mth old

Welcome to the forum!

I think the best thing you can do is to be patient. Also, try different bottles, different nipples, and different milk temperatures. Some babies prefer cold milk, some warm. If the milk has been stored for a while prior to being used, do a taste test and make sure that it hasn't gone off; many moms find that excess lipase enzyme can cause their stored milk to develop a rancid or soapy taste. If lipase is a problem, scalding the milk prior to storing should fix it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your reply. I will try out some different nipples/bottles to see if that makes a difference for him. You just made me realize that i have been giving him slowest flow nipples and he is rather large for his age, maybe they they are just too slow. As for the lipase enzyme changing the flavor...does this only happen when you store fresh milk for too long in fridge or can this happen with frozen as well. The first day he got all thawed milk and today he had mostly thawed milk (had been frozen for about two to three weeks). He will be getting prior days milk from now on (never frozen) and i will only be freezing excess milk for future use going forward. Thanks again for taking the time reply

Many nursing moms stick with newborn nipples for the entire time they are using a bottle. A slow flow from the bottle discourages overeating, which is much more often a problem than under-eating. So while I think it might be a good idea to try a faster flow nipple, don't feel like you're doing something wrong by using the newborn ones! If your baby starts eating more, you Dan always go back to the slow-flow nipples.

Lipase issues can crop up in milk that has been stored either in the fridge or the freezer. In fact, my understanding is that it is more common in frozen milk because that's generally older than fridge milk, which is usually used within a few days of being expressed. The longer the milk sits, the longer the enzyme has to break down the fats and create that nasty taste/smell.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"