Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this mean she's not interested in solids yet?

Default Does this mean she's not interested in solids yet?

Hi,

My DD will officially be 6 mo next week by the calendar, but she hit the 24 week mark last weekend. We had wanted to hold off on solids until at least six months, but we decided to try her on some things because she has to take a medication nightly and the doctor said it might be easier to give it to her if we did so in cereal or a puree.

So the past week, we've tried her on oatmeal twice and then pureed apples twice. She seemed uninterested in either one, and with the apples she made the ick face. The oatmeal she didn't seem to dislike, she just didn't seem to know quite what to do with it.

We haven't used the food yet to give her medication, as she's not eating reliably, but I'm wondering if we should just give up on that idea.

She's exhibited a lot of the so-called signs of being ready for solids--good head and neck control, interested in what we're eating, etc. I'm wondering if the issue is that she's not ready or whether we just haven't found what she likes yet. Should we try something else, or should we just give it up for a while?

Wanted to add: I know a lot of people here do BLS. I guess I find the whole thing to be kind of overwhelming. Like, if I'm doing BLS, does that mean that I have to wait until weaning? Or can I do that in tandem with BFing?
    Last edited by @llli*tallmadre; October 2nd, 2012 at 09:36 AM.

Default Re: Does this mean she's not interested in solids yet?

BLS works best in tandem with BFing. The confusion is that in Europe starting solids is called weaning. It doesn't mean stopping breastfeeding. You should start BLS (if that's what you're interested in) when baby shows all six signs of being developmentally ready for solids. From kellymom:

* Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    And of course it's not all or nothing. You can certainly do some of both- BLS and purees to give medication. The idea behind BLS is that it is a more natural continuation of nursing where baby regulates his/her own intake of food at his/her own pace. This may mean that baby eats little to no solids at first and that's okay too.

ETA: Here's a great article that explains why BLS works so well with breastfed babies and some basics on how it works.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

What the PP said.

I think many first-time moms approach solids as a stressful, challenging experience when it should be a fun one. And that goes equally for spoon-feeding and BLS (though I think moms who do BLS tend to be a little more relaxed). My doc says that until age 1, solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. They are not nutritionally necessary. So if your baby eats a bite of solids, great! And if she tastes it and then spits it out, still great! And if she won't even taste it but prefers to explore the solids with her hands, still great! I know the medication issue makes solids a little more... What, maybe enticing? But I still wouldn't stress.

What I would do would be to pop baby into her highchair with some globs of smashed, squishy veggies (squash, steamed carrots, yams) in front of her, or some cheerios, and see what happens. Don't think of it as embracing BLS over spoon-feeding- just think of it as giving your baby a fun experience with solid foods. You can always do a combo of spoon-feeding and BLS.

And please don't worry that doing BLS means that you must wait for baby to self-wean. Weaning is a long process- it can take months or years- and if you suddenly need to accelerate that process, you can, regardless of whether or not your baby takes her solids on a spoon or conveys them to her mouth on her own.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the info.I think it makes sense to have her try to eat with her hands. She's very hand oriented right now. I think she's just not sure what the spoon's all about, even though she sees us using them.

Like you, I offered some steamed carrots to lo when he was 24 weeks. By then he was already putting everything he could get his hands on to his mouth and can sit up with some support. However, when he grabbed the carrot stick, he acted like he didn't know what to do with it! He would just hold it and stared at it suspiciously! He would grab and put the plate to his mouth, but just didn't want anything to do with the carrot! I tried again every few days later, and magically, at 6 months, he suddenly knew what to do with food. He instinctively put everything we offered to his mouth, chewed (or gummed), and swallowed some. I can tell from his poop that he swallowed a bit of everything that we offered him.
    Don't give up! Your lo will get it soon enough! So far I've offered him steamed carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, banana, avocado, beef, chicken, strawberries, apples (sliced, raw), honey dew, and zucchini. He particularly loves banana!

I'm wondering if she just doesn't like spoons. She gets an oral medication via syringe every night, which she hates. So I'm thinking that she associates something coming at her mouth with that. Like, "Oh, God. They're doing it again."

We tried with sweet potatoes the other night and she grabbed the spoon as it reached her mouth. I did get her to take a tiny bit of it, but she spit most of it out. I'm not sure if this is just spitting or tongue thrusting or if she just doesn't understand that she's supposed to swallow it.

Mine never really liked to be spoon-fed at all. We did kind of a combination of BLS and puree, and she just wasn't all that interested in solids until closer to 9 months. Until that point, she would eat some, spit out, chew on things with her jaw and not swallow, whatever. I just continued to nurse on demand and offer her solids to try and more and more, food would actually make it into her mouth and tummy.

Oh and btw, she hated medication via syringe for the longest time and would put up the biggest fight. Then around 11 months she was totally fine with it. Things change so fast!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

She does take the medicine more easily than she used to, but I think that it's just because we give it to her every night. I think she realizes she's going to get it and there's not much she can do about it. I'm just hoping this doesn't cause some weird issues down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tallmadre View Post
    I'm just hoping this doesn't cause some weird issues down the line.
    It won't.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous