Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain

Default Nipple pain

Ok so I nursed DD1 for 13 months before a nursing strike turned into weaning. Had no problems with nipple soreness after the initial irritation. Even with her teeth coming in and whatnot. I am currently still BFing DD2 who is 13.5 months. She nurses 3-4 times a day and 2-3 sometimes 4 times a night. (crazy I know) And everything is the same as normal. No difference with latch or anything.

So the last week or so my nipples have been sooooo sore! Like barely brush them and I wince and every time she latches it's like (only when she first latches). I've also noticed some mild cramping. I have the Mirena IUD and haven't had periods on it for almost a year now. So that's no clue. Today I went to check the strings like you're supposed to and normally I feel about an inch of the wires and today I only felt the very tip poking out of my cervix. So I think it has moved... Also my cervix is REALLY high. I couldn't even reach it the first time I tried. The only time my cervix has been that high before is when I am pregnant....

What do you think? Could my nipple soreness be from something else??? I've had thrush at the beginning several times so I am pretty familiar with it. This does not seem like thrush at all.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Nipple pain

Gosh, if it weren't for the IUD I'd guess you were pregnant. I think I'd take a test anyway.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ya I plan on testing soon. I just don't have a car available until tomorrow. I'm really starting to wonder if I am...Which terrifies me because of the risk to a baby because of the IUD.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Just took a test and it was negative. So that's good. Although I don't think I'll ever be sad to see a positive test. It's just not in me. Pregnancy is too miraculous. Anyway. I guess the nipple pain is just a little bump in the nursing relationship. Perhaps her latch isn't quite as good because of teething or something.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Hey Melissa, just wanted to add two tangential comments:

1. I love your comment about pregnancy being miraculous!! I wish everyone shared your wonderful spirit.

2. Don't worry about night nursing...we're up about 3-6 times for feeds at 11 months, so you have "crazy company". Ha!

Should you get your IUD checked if it's poking out? CAn you get periods on Mirena? Maybe that's coming?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alphawoman View Post
    Hey Melissa, just wanted to add two tangential comments:

1. I love your comment about pregnancy being miraculous!! I wish everyone shared your wonderful spirit.

2. Don't worry about night nursing...we're up about 3-6 times for feeds at 11 months, so you have "crazy company". Ha!
    Ah thank you, you are so sweet! And I'm glad I'm not alone
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    Should you get your IUD checked if it's poking out? CAn you get periods on Mirena? Maybe that's coming?
    Ya I am going to get my Mirena checked just to make sure everything is fine. And I don't have periods with Mirena so it's not that.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!