Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding thru stomach flu

Default Breastfeeding thru stomach flu

Hello,

My toddler is 19 months and got a stomach flu (gastroenteritis) and the doctor just told me to stop all dairy food and breastmilk.
    I'm not so sure... I think breastfeeding is the only thing that has kept him thru these last couple of days.
    what should I do?

Default Re: Breastfeeding thru stomach flu

Keep nursing. Many docs do not realize that the recommendations for formula-fed and breastfed babies are completely different. With a sick, vomiting formula-fed baby, it is often recommended that parents temporarily switch to Pedialyte or some other oral rehydration solution. But unlike formula, breastmilk counts as a "clear liquid", it contains antibodies which will help baby get better faster, and nursing is comforting to a sick kid. Temporary weaning during a course of the flu is just going to make everyone miserable- mom's going to need to pump on top of caring for a sick child, and the child is going to be completely confused as to why his mom is denying him the one thing that might make him feel better!

This link goes into more depth: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

breastmilk is NOT dairy. cow is dairy.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

keep nursing
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK