Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on a bra for a large busted woman FTM

Default advice on a bra for a large busted woman FTM

Hi everyone. I am due 11/14 but am on a very tight budget as far as nursing bras for before my milk comes in so I have a question. I am G cup currently (I know that will probably change yet again) What I would like to do is buy a few sports style bras for right before and after my son is born until my supply is regulated and then go get the nice expensive ones. I also have PCOS so have been told I may not make enough milk to begin with and then I wouldn't want to invest so heavily in the super expensive ones.

Has anyone bought this one? http://www.llliclothes.com/Nursing-B...Sport-Bra.html

I read that the sizing is kind of all over the place and I don't know what size to get or if it would even fit for someone who is a G cup. Thanks everyone!

Default Re: advice on a bra for a large busted woman FTM

I don't have any personal experience with the bra you linked to, but if I was only going to buy one thing for the immediate postpartum period I'd probably buy one of these unfortunately rather expensive tanks from Bravado: http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/t...l-nursing-tank. And I'd use it for going out, and just go braless around the house. Until things settle down with nursing and you aren't changing sizes every 2 minutes, that is!

When you're worried about supply, it makes sense to stay away from anything ill-fitting or constricting, because that can worsen supply problems. Not that I think you should freak out- I've read that about 30% of moms with PCOS have lower-than-average supply, but the other 2/3 of moms with PCOS have average or excessive supply. You have a great shot at having no problems!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are those supportive for a large cup size? My goal is to save money for once things have settled for a really good bra.

Yes they are. You hace to stay awy from wire bras for usually at least the 1st 6-9 months of nursing. As they cause clogged ducts and can lead to mastitus. Had F breasts and didn't wear a wire bra until 7months PPD and even then only in 2-3 hour increments. The nursing tanks are the best. They flip down and you feed, they are very supportive and they are SHIRTS. They are worth the investment. I feel like the last month of my pregnancy I really struggled with the underwire scratching and digging into my rib cage. But I have always had large breast and the thought of NOT wearing an underwire for support was very alien to me. In retrospect I wish I had gotten some BEFORE I gave birth. They sell fairly good cheap knockoff ones at Kmart. Not Walmart. Not Target. Kmart. The Cheap knockoffs from the other 2 places don't have straps thick enough to accomodate very large breasts.

Way too lazy for formula

i loved those bravado tanks, very supportive, bought 2, wish i could've worn them, but they just weren't big enough, and i also started out around G cup. (now K or L after 16 months nursing). i love the royce bras http://www.royce-lingerie.co.uk/ they end up about $40 a bra which is half the price i used to pay for wired non-nursing bras. i doubt i'll ever go back to those, even when i'm not nursing.

i "made my own" nursing tanks by using these which i adore: http://undercovermama.com/

it's just too hard to find bras AND tanks that fit large cup sizes. this way i just had to find the bras and then i could wear all my regular tops over the bra + undercovermama. these are good for once you've gotten out of the sloppy leaking all the time in the house phase, and actually go out or work or whatever
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Yes they are. You hace to stay awy from wire bras for usually at least the 1st 6-9 months of nursing. As they cause clogged ducts and can lead to mastitus. Had F breasts and didn't wear a wire bra until 7months PPD and even then only in 2-3 hour increments. The nursing tanks are the best. They flip down and you feed, they are very supportive and they are SHIRTS. They are worth the investment. I feel like the last month of my pregnancy I really struggled with the underwire scratching and digging into my rib cage. But I have always had large breast and the thought of NOT wearing an underwire for support was very alien to me. In retrospect I wish I had gotten some BEFORE I gave birth. They sell fairly good cheap knockoff ones at Kmart. Not Walmart. Not Target. Kmart. The Cheap knockoffs from the other 2 places don't have straps thick enough to accomodate very large breasts.
    All of this. I still have 2 Bravado tanks that are holding up after heavy use 4 years later. And I wore them all four years because I've either been pregnant or nursing for all four years. I am a 34H/I at this point and the Large fits me very well. Supportive without smushing me. And what djs.mom is saying about the straps is 100% true. I stay away from most sports bras unless they are specifically for large busts.

So I am confused. We have a few saying the bravados were great but one saying they were not big enough. Was everyone who used them over a G cup? I'm confused but I am really appreciating this feedback so keep it coming!

Also k-mart.com doesn't seem to have anything for maternity so not sure if that was a while back

I was a DDD/E when I used the Bravado tank. I actually felt the one I got was a little large, especially once it stretched a little bit. But the fit for a nursing bra is SO personal, SO individual...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was an F/G cup while using the bravado tanks I liked them while I was on leave but once I started working again (4 mos ppd) I need an actual bra I could wear in the corporate environment.

I highly recommend the Anita Microfiber nursing bras great support and durability. style 5035 was my one and only savior... i wore these from 4 months to three years and will wear them again for any subsequent nursing....

several sites allow for free returns within 30 days www.herroom.com and www.biggerbras.com were two i have used.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07