Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cholesterol Medication

Default Cholesterol Medication

Does anyone know of a safe medication to take while nursing? Apparently there are been no research done on the cholesterol mediciations so all the books say "no." My daughter is 12 months old and I am only nursing her at nap times and nighttime. I only plan to nurse about 2 more months.

Default Re: Cholesterol Medication

For specific information on medications, I suggest contacting Infant Risk http://www.infantrisk.com/.

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. (806)-352-2519.

ETA: not sure if this is true or not, but I have heard that breastfeeding moms should not be tested for cholesterol because cholesterol is actively synthesized in higher than average amounts during breastfeeding, since the baby requires it. If you're only planning to nurse for a couple more months, maybe get tested again and see if anything changes before taking any medications?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My cholesterol goes down when I am nursing. My doctors will not put me on anything until I am done bearing children and nursing. You can supplement with Niacin. How high is your cholesterol? Are you deeply concerned? Right before I had my daughter mine was 330 (8 years ago) now it's 226 and I'm thrilled!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

In Medications and Mother's Milk, the entries on cholesterol-lowering drugs all say something like this (from the entry on lovastatin):

Atherosclerosis is a chronic process, and discontinuation of lipid-lowering drugs during pregnancy and lactation should have little to no impact on the outcome of long-term therapy of primary hypercholesterolemia. Cholesterol and other products of cholesterol biosynthesis are essential components for fetal and neonatal development, and the use of cholesterol-lowering drugs would not be advisable under most circumstances in breastfeeding mothers.
    The risks of too little cholesterol are going to be much greater for a newborn, of course, than for a 1 year old who is getting most of her nutrition from solids and only nurses a couple of times a day.

I'd suggest having a discussion with your doctor about whether breastfeeding could affect your test results like mommal mentioned, and what the difference would be between starting treatment now and waiting a few months until your daughter is weaned. If you end up feeling like you really do need to go ahead with it now, talk to your doctor about what medication options you have and then call InfantRisk. They'll be able to give you information on the different meds and dosages. I can't recommend specific medications, but it looks like there are some that don't transfer into milk in significant amounts.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--