Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to continue breastfeeding exclusively for 8 weeks old

Default Re: How to continue breastfeeding exclusively for 8 weeks ol

Right now? That would be more than doubling birthweight by 3months. Which isn't usually what you expect. The expectation is that you double birthweight by 6 months. Not three.

Way too lazy for formula

alright, ideally how much it should be by 3 months and 3 weeks as per LO's birth weight? and how to acheive it in my case?

What is wrong with weiging 9lbs at 3months? When you weighed less than 6 at birth? Where do you think he should be? I have already said his gain looks reasonable to me. The difference between last month and this month is dramactic. But it's because it was artifically inflated with formula. With no supplement between birth and the one month check up he gained right over a lbs Right? So as long as he weighs 11lbs by 6months he's on his growth pattern isn't he? How much would he need to gain for you to feel satisfied with it?

Way too lazy for formula

sorry for late reply as i had no access to net for few days.
    Also sorry for small confusion here as the birth weight i quoted was when i left hospital on 5th day. so quoting the weight details again in lbs (after conversion from kg using converter tool):

on birth : 6lb 6.2945oz
    once left hospital 5th day =5lb 8.1849oz
    (at 4th week weight did not gained it was same :5lb 8.1849oz, done exclusive breast feeding)

after 1 month (6th week weighed):6lb 13.349oz ( due to 50% formula feeding)

after 2 months :8lb 9.5685oz (during this time i added formula with breast milk - 2 oz)

after 3 months : 9lb 0.62326oz (exclusive breast feeding)

at 3 months 2 weeks no change same weight that is 9lb 0.62326oz (according to pediatician it should be atleast 11lb 3.8972oz.)

So again added supplement 2-3 oz + pumbed milk ( as baby sucking not efficient) and now weight after 1.5 weeks is 9lb 11.205oz.

Thanks

Just as a side thought, I worked with a mom whose baby was gaining weight, although very slowly. Also taking 30-45 min to eat even at 4 months. Took her baby to a Dr. and diagnosed a lip tie. have you had your baby checked for a lip tie or tongue tie?
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

we contacted a local LC on LO's third month end. She told latch,suck,tongue everything is fine.and said there seems no tongue tie.
    but recently when i contacted 1 IBCLC she told there is tongue tie of type 4 and lip tie too, after seeing the photos i have sent last day .
    accordingly we went to see a pediatric dentist to verify this. he said there is a minor posterior tongue tie and no need to worry.
    So checking net and reading few articles i think he has a lip tie and postrior tongue tie.
    at this point i am not sure what needs to be done.

Both my babies had tongue ties. My second one (now two months) had a posterior tie. Both had lip ties as well. Their tongue ties were clipped (the first baby was clipped at 7 days because I saw a LC early for sore nipples and no weight gain; the second was clipped at one month). My LC said that posterior ones sometimes manifest themselves this way after a month when your milk supply starts to equilibrate and your baby is fussy at the breast because he has to work harder to get the transfer which is difficult with that tie. After the posterior tongue tie was clipped, after a week feeding was easier but by that time I was pumping more than nursing because baby was so fussy at the breast (baby was on and off all day). My posterior tongue tie baby also had problems bottle-feeding. Then I tried laying down (side by side nursing) and laid back nursing which my baby seemed to like more (maybe less work?). I would recommend laying back and nursing (called biological nurturing), but I'm not sure how milk transfer can be so effective if part of your breast is compressed by the baby. Anyway, it seems that it was easier for my baby.

Thanks jylu97 for the reply.
    my baby had latch problem initially, but now he is ok. but weight gain is too low . I think because DS is not draining breast completely each session. I used to pump after that.
    DS is not too fussy while feeding, some times he latches correctly particularly left side. but right side sometimes he is fussy and pushes out nipple and come back and repeats the same. no sore nipples, but right nipple after feed like new lipstick top
    after feeds he seems to be active for some time, wets diaper(half wet :8-9 times per day), then in 20 mins he want feed again.
    But weight gain is almost nil.

I can't find an answer so forgive me for repeating this if you did answer and I missed it, but is your baby active and meeting milestones?

Way too lazy for formula

yes he is active and meets all milestones