Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How to continue breastfeeding exclusively for 8 weeks old

Default Re: How to continue breastfeeding exclusively for 8 weeks ol

any help? i have already started giving supplement due to low weight gain. and re started pumping 6 times a day.

SO during the month that you were exclusively breastfeeding and he was eating non stop but not gaining, how was his output?

Way too lazy for formula

yes right DS was feeding after every 30-45 mins. he passed urine 7-8 times in 24 hrs, but most of them were partial. and he passed stool once in 3-4 days.

So now that you are supplementing again, what does that look like? Are you starting at the breast then topping off? Or are you feeding him as much as you did and THEN giving him additional oz of formula? And how much a day are you supplmenting?
    ANd when you say 6 times a day pumping, this is in addition to you feedinf him at your breast how often?

Way too lazy for formula

It seems to me that getting the tongue tie fixed is really vital at this point. Without the formula supplements, it seems like baby is having trouble gaining weight as he should despite constant feeding, and that suggests that there's something not quite right with his ability to transfer milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Djsmom , I pump 6 times after feeding LO. after each feed i will give additional supplement required.
    Mommal, even i think so. but my DH doesn't agree with this, because the pediatric dentist and pediatrician we met had told that tongue tie is very minimal to create any problem.
    Also I heard that even if we clip DS's tongue tie, it may or may not solve 100% suck issue. Also there may require additional care, tongue excercise etc, which is discouraging me in doing so. DS also have a lip tie. so i am continuing pumping for him , not sure how long since it is consuming much of my time. I am using single electric pump which is not that efficient because it is designed to pump only 3 times per day.
    Last edited by @llli*sha.mum; December 23rd, 2012 at 03:41 AM.

Recently we checked with another dentist and he told high palate is not there.

Palate and tongue tie issues can be really confusing, because there isn't a lot of expertise out there. One doc might see a tongue tie, another might not. Picking up on subtle differences in palate anatomy is also something that some docs are good at recognizing, and some aren't. If you have a speech pathologist in your area, that might be another person to see. Sometimes they are better at picking up on these types of issues.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"