Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to continue breastfeeding exclusively for 8 weeks old

Default How to continue breastfeeding exclusively for 8 weeks old

I have 8 weeks old baby. for first 1 month i was breast feeding him exclusively. but he didn't gained weight, it was same 2.5 kg for 2 weeks.So Pediatrician told to feed formula milk too.
    but I am looking forward to breastfeed alone successfully , gaining required weight. How this is possible?

Currently whenever baby feels hungry i breast feed for 20 mins or so and if he stops sucking then i will give him formula milk.
    daily 2 times i express milk to about 1.5oz - 2oz.
    I tried to feed with expressed milk one time a day of about 2-3oz taken in multiple session, but with that baby is not satisfied and then again i had to give formula milk.

Please provide me a solution on how to proceed so as to cut down the formula feed(currently 5-6 feeds of formula milk is given)

Thanks

Default Re: How to continue breastfeeding exclusively for 8 weeks ol

5-6 feedings of how much formula? And are you always just topping off? Or are there some feeds in there that are just formula?

Way too lazy for formula

I will be feeding mostly 2 -3 oz after breast feeding . If baby sucks well then 1-2 oz will be enough.

OK well at this point that sounds like you are giving more half your child's nutrition in formula. Which is only going to further damage your supply. It's all supply and demand. So the only way for you to get your supply back up there is stimulate your breast more. A baby should only be getting 1-3oz a milk every feeding and should be feeding every 1-3 hours around the clock. But as soon as you add in the formula you are throwing off your supply two fold. Because instead of flipping your child to the 2nd breast and giving your body the signal to make more milk you are finishing with formula. And while normally the breastmilk would be very quickly absorbed and your child would que you again in 1-3 hours, you are probably now only getting ques every 3-4 hours because formula is much harder on their system and takes longer to digest. That coupled with the fact that your child could begin to prefer the bottle because it's an easier way to eat and reject your breast entirely and this is really a recipe for disaster! And all because your doctor gave you crappy advice.
    You need to pump at every feed. And if you are going longer than 2hours between feeds you need to pump then. How long as this been going on? Because based on the amount of formula your child is getting, you can't just go back. What you need to work on is getting to the point where you have enough of YOUR milk to supplement with. Because then even if you are topping off and it's breastmilk than at the very least it will still be quickly absorbed and you will get the right number of ques. IF you give your body the right number of signals diligently you could be making the right amount of milk in a week to 10 days and then be back at the breast entirely in a couple of weeks. But pumping twice a day is no where NEAR enough. You should pump at least 6- 8times in a 24hour period in addition to feeding and you should to begin AND FINISH at the breast so that your child associates the feeling of being DONE with your breast AND so that your breast get additional stimulation. I am really sorry your doctor gave you terrible advice. You can do this Mama. But it is going to take real work and diligence for a couple of weeks to get your supply back where it needs to be. Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula

I agree with much of the above. But I would like to back up just a bit to understand why your baby did not gain weight in the first place. How often were you nursing your baby from birth until you're told to give formula? How often are you nursing your baby now? I don't mean how many such and such hours I mean how many times a day-24 hours.

Because if a baby is not gaining well on breastmilk it has to be understood why so that proper advice can be given at that point. Usually there would be three possibilities 1-baby was not nursed frequently enough this happens pretty often. 2-baby nursed frequently but was unable to transfer milk well due to latch or sucking issues. 3-mom had inadequate milk production. Of course some combination of any of these could occur as well.

It is also important to make sure that weight checks were done and continue to be done appropriately. Babies are sometimes considered to have not gained weight due to the weight being taken inaccurately or on different scales. Even when all scales used are accurate if the baby is weighed on different scales it can cause a difference sometimes a dramatic difference.

This is in reply to lllmeg's 1st post:
    I have started supplement in the second month . First month i used to nurse 7-8 times daily.but baby used to cry within 30 mins after feeding and weight too not gained. when i consulted lactation expert ,she told transfer of milk from mother to baby is inadequate. Also I feel milk production is also low.
    After giving formula i am feeding 4-5 times and 2-3 times i pump about 1.5-2 oz.

I'm surprised the lactation expert's first thought was inadequate milk transfer. I'd be more likely to suspect that the baby wasn't nursing often enough. Newborn babies typically nurse 10-12 times per day, or even more frequently. They make up for taking in relatively small amount of milk, often just 1-3 oz at a time, by feeding very frequently.

If you want to make more milk, the first thing you should do is to nurse more and pump more. At your current schedule, it sounds like you are nursing or pumping just 6-8 times a day. In you shoes, I would want to nurse at least 8-10 times per day and pump after feedings as often as possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

will try this out and see how it works for me..
    Thanks for all your thoughts and support.
    Last edited by @llli*sha.mum; October 2nd, 2012 at 07:57 AM.

Sha Mum It's not enough. If you want to be able to exclusively breast feed you have to increase production. 4-5 +2-3 does NOT equal enough breast stimulation for a one or 2 month old. YOU MUST be stimulating your breast AT LEAST 10-12 times in a 24hour period. There is no way around that. So if you want this to work you need to start pumping at least 8 times in a 24hour period and honestly you should be breastfeeding way more than you are. But you probably aren't going to be able to get your baby to que more often until you back off the formula. So for the time being you need to focus on simply making more milk so that you can supplement with more of your own milk so that she WILL que more often and then you can breastfeed more often. It is ALL supply and demand. You MUST demand more milk if you expect to make more.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sha.mum View Post
    This is in reply to lllmeg's 1st post:
    I have started supplement in the second month . First month i used to nurse 7-8 times daily.but baby used to cry within 30 mins after feeding and weight too not gained. when i consulted lactation expert ,she told transfer of milk from mother to baby is inadequate. Also I feel milk production is also low.
    After giving formula i am feeding 4-5 times and 2-3 times i pump about 1.5-2 oz.
    yes i agree with mommal. You may have low supply now, due to supplementing and pumpimg instead of nursing frequently. As long as baby can nurse effectvely now, production issues now can probably be turned around by nursing more often and maybe pumping as needed with a very good pump. But your babies lack of adequate weight gain may have been at least partly due to baby not nursing frequently enough. you babies desire to eat every 30 minutes for at least part of the day was/is entirely normal in the newborn period.It is very common for moms to think they have low supply due to things that have nothing to do with, or at least are not always adequate indicators of milk production.

Not good indicators of low milk production-baby wanting to nurse frequently, baby fussing, how much a mom pumps and how much a baby takes in a bottle.

it is very true that milk supply will only increase if milk is removed from the breasts with good frequency via baby and/or very good pump (hospital grade if possible.) In these sorts of situations some moms may find it impossible to pump as often as 8 times a day. if mom understands that milk supply depends on demand, and that her baby will demand more if supplemented less, and that the process may take time so baby may be weaned fromn supplements safely, she can create her own evolving strategy that works for her situation, hopefully assisted by a local knowledgable breastfeeding helper who can help her monitor the situation day by day.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 2nd, 2012 at 10:44 AM.