Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 Month slump...need support encouragement

Default 8 Month slump...need support encouragement

I'm just looking for some encouragement that I'm doing the right thing here. I think I've hit the sudden decrease in supply around 8 months and am trying to figure out how to increase my pumping output so my lo can continue to have bm while I'm at work. This all started last week when I got really sick and couldn't eat much for about 5 days. I kept my water intake up pretty well, but I feel like supply started droping then and hasn't come back yet. She has also slept for a 5 hour stretch one or two nights lately, but not consistently. I've read lots of the forum but had some specific clarifications I was looking for.

1. I didn't realize I was suppose to change the yellow part of my PIS valve and maybe the tubing. How often does that need to be changed? I've changed the white membrane several times and got larger horns, but not the other parts.

2. How much longer do you think I need to pump at work? I ask because I think it might be worth getting a new pump as I bought mine used ( I didn't know at the time that was a no-no). I might have a hard time convincing DH to buy a new one as it will cost 2 to 3 times the cost of a new one in the US. Did people normally pump wean around a year?

3. LO is just starting to get a bit more excited about food. I've been offering solids since about 6.5 months and now she is swallowing a bit more and getting excited when she sees food. So far I haven't asked the nanny to give her any, I just do it in the evenings/weekends. Could I have her take a few more solids when I am away? We are lucky because she comes to see me to nurse at lunch every day, so depending on her mood she is only taking 6oz while I'm at work. It is a bad idea to have the nanny offer her some food before milk in the afternoon?

I have many more questions about this but I'll leave it at that for now so as not to get overwhelmed!
    I'm Elizabeth, first time mom to Sofia Kerala, born Jan. 6, 2012 at home.

We are happily , , , and .

I'm an international teacher-librarian , currently working in Brazil.

Default Re: 8 Month slump...need support encouragement

bump!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Most mothers find they need to pump at work until baby is a year. Then they can phase out the pump and nurse at home.

I changed my membranes and valves regularly. The valves not as often, but the membranes, a lot. But I was EPing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Bump!
    Also, I don't understand when people say they can phase out the pump at work. What do you give your babies while at work? My lo doesn't really eat much while she explores her food and doesn't that diminish supply?

You don't phase out the pump at work until THE YEAR POINT. At which time your supply is well enough established to be maintained with nursing on demand. Your baby at the point should be involved in solids during the day and can drink water while away from you. Not before the year point though. And as you said it's not over night. The point is when you begin to phase it out. It generally takes people a few weeks to over a month to pump wean.

Way too lazy for formula