Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk for 12 month old?

Default How much milk for 12 month old?

My DD starts daycare tomorrow, and I'm going back to work.

Despite my efforts, I have not been able to pump a lot of milk off. I only have about 6, 4.5oz bottles in the freezer. It seriously takes me 3 days to get 4-5 oz pumped off.

Because of this, I need a back-up plan. I know that once she starts daycare she's going to go through this fast. I will likely be able to pump off a bit more since she won't be nursing during the day, but I don't think I can keep up with her demand.

SO I need help. What should I supplement her with? Cows Milk? Goats? Formula?

How much milk should she be drinking per day? Most sources say 14-19oz. Does that sound right?

Right now, DD nurses CONSTANTLY. She seriously is on my boob any chance she gets (ie ripping my shirt down to nurse if I'm holding her, sitting on the floor, etc). She will nurse all day and all night (don't get me started on the night nursing!) if I let her.

I just need to know where to turn. Up until now, it's just been easy to give her the boob whenever she wants it. Now I need to think about supplementing for the first time and have NO idea where to go.

Default Re: How much milk for 12 month old?

After 12 months, you can supplement with whole cow or goat milk. Or you can supplement with other whole milk dairy products like cheese and yogurt, or you can not supplement at all if your baby nurses at least 3-5 times in a day (with more nursing sessions obviously being better, particularly for a younger baby like yours). 14-16 oz of milk per day sounds on the high side for a baby who is also nursing all night long.

I would try cow's milk in the bottles at daycare, but don't be surprised if your LO doesn't go for it. A lot of kids don't like cow's milk.

I wish you luck with returning to the workforce! You may have better pump output once you're pumping in place of feedings, instead of in addition to feedings.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would NOT supplement. And I didn't I went from nursing on demand to back to work full time and no pumping and my child drank WATER all day while away from me and still nursing on demand while together. 14-16 oz a milk a day is the amount of COWS milk a child who is NOT breastfeeding needs. Breastmilk is much higher in fat and calories and long as you still nurse 3-5 times a day, you don't need to supplement. And you will average MORE than that because you will still nurse on demand on your off day.

Way too lazy for formula

I would so NOT start pumping at a year. That is when most pumpers hang up their horns. Because at the year point you can trust your body to continue to make milk on demand without risking supply.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you so much for your advice! I was really lost in terms of what a 12 month old needs. It's hard to find info!

It sounds like I will likely be able to get away with nursing at home and giving her pumped milk as I can get it. Even if I can send 4-8oz to daycare it seems like she'll still be getting what she needs without cows milk (yay!)

if you are willing to pump, go for it, but you dont 'need' to now. water is fine. good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.