Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn nursing 10-15 min every half hour...normal?! HELP!

Default Newborn nursing 10-15 min every half hour...normal?! HELP!

So I've been terribly frustrated with a really fussy newborn who doesn't have any type of feeding pattern/rhythm. She doesn't seem very interested in feeding at night; I'll get her up every three hours and wake her to feed and she'll do so for roughly 25 minutes. However, during the day she is really challenging, only eating for brief periods before falling asleep, and seeming to be hungry every half hour or so after her previous feeding. I'm confused and not sure what this means.

Default Re: Newborn nursing 10-15 min every half hour...normal?! HEL

How old is she?

Her pattern may be that she eats more in the day so she can sleep more at night....

with the PP. This honestly sounds quite normal for a newborn. Is her diaper output and weight gain on track? And does she seem very sleepy during feedings? If she's a dozy baby, there are a few things you can try to get her to stay alert and active at the breast- I'll happily type them out if interested.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She's a week old...well...9 days Her weight is going up slowly, but her diapers are pretty scarce. She is very sleepy during feedings. It seems she latches on, suckles for about 5 min, and then conks out! So then I spend the next 5-10-20 minutes trying to wake her up to keep feeding. I feel like I'm doing something wrong! She also does this thing where she gets fussy and suckles for a few minutes, and then detaches and gets frustrated, then latches, and comes off. It makes getting settled hard.

Okay, tips for waking a sleepy baby:
    - Keep the lights dim (but not off) in the place where you nurse. Newborns may close their eyes in response to bright light.
    - A cool baby may be a more alert baby. Strip baby down to a diaper or onesie when it's time to nurse, and/or keep a fan blowing in the room you're nursing in (but not directly on the baby!).
    - An annoyed baby may be a more alert. Tickle her feet, or rub against her foot soles or against the grain of her hair using your hand or a cool, damp washcloth.
    - Try breast compressions to speed milk flow to the baby.
    - Try switch nursing. When suckling slows, and baby appears to be nodding off, take her off the breast, burp her, change her diaper, and put her on the other side. Repeat the process until the baby will no longer wake.

If baby is getting frustrated while latching, the following may be helpful:
    - Offer a pinky finger to suck, with nail held down towards baby's tongue instead of up towards the delicate palate. A few seconds of suckling may calm baby enough for a repeat latch attempt.
    - Instant reward: express a few droplets of milk onto the surface of the nipple before latching baby on. The taste of milk may remind her to latch and suck.
    - Try to get baby to nurse before early hunger cues escalate into a frantic, head-bobbing screamfest.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congratulations on your new baby and welcome to the forum.

Your baby is still young, things will get easier. The good news is alot of babies may be sleepy the first several weeks, then perk up.

Here's another sleepy baby link:

http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/...-a-sleepy-baby

And breast compressions can help make a feeding more efficient:

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-BC

I'm a little worried when you say the diapers are scarce and weight gain is slow. Be sure to keep in contact with your doctor about this.

One more link - how to tell if your baby is getting enough milk

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-IMB

Keep us posted.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; October 3rd, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

what does "pretty scarce" diapers mean? what does "slow weight gain" mean? have you had her weighed? has she regained birthweight?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.