Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged Duct? Tumor? What is it?

Default Clogged Duct? Tumor? What is it?

Hi Ladies..

I am a FTM, my daughter is 5 weeks old and up until a few days ago, nursing was going fairly well. Saturday morning, while nursing I notice a lump in my breast. I started to feel it a bit and realized that it was huge! Starting up near my armpit, it is about 3 inches long and about 1.5 inches wide. It is sort of oval shaped and goes down towards my nipple. Rather large! I was warned about blocked ducts so I tried not to freak out and started the warm compresses, massage, nursing in different positions, hot showers, etc. Nothing is working. I have tried scratching at my nipple to unclog any pores and even a back massager. Nothing! I might add, when hand expressing milk, I am only getting milk from one or two pores and that this breast WAS my best producer! Anyway...I am not freaking out here! I am determined to nurse and will not give up but I am really getting scared. I feel like she is not getting enough! Help!

Thank you
    Natalie

Default Re: Clogged Duct? Tumor? What is it?

Does it hurt?

What type of bras are you wearing? Underwire, etc?

It really doesn't hurt...only when my milk lets down. I did wear an underwire the night before I noticed it...but the lump is on the top of my breast..if that makes a difference?

I get clogged ducts at my armpit from underwires. I'd guess clogged duct. Use warm compresses and showers right before nursing (pump if you have to if baby isn't emptying it) and stay away from the underwire for a while.

Treat it like a clogged duct, though. And keep an eye out for fevers/redness/increasing soreness. It's tricky to do if the clog is on top, but try to position baby's chin toward the clog. Dangle feeding may help loosen it if other positions aren't helping.

from your description it sounds like a plugged duct. But if you have any concern about it being something like a tumor please seek medical advice immediately.

I had a massive plug the size of my open hand, and I was able to break it up with the vibration from a personal massager. But I really had to work at it. Some people use electric toothbrush for this as well. Oh and cold compress may work better than heat, as heat may increase swelling...

I have tried scratching at my nipple to unclog any pores
    This sounds a bit scary to me, i am afraid you could injure your nipple. A plug of the pore on the nipple is a bleb, usually looks like a whitish bump, and usually hurts. A plug up in the breast is caused *(it is thought) by a plug of milk fat clogging up the narrow milk duct higher up in the breast or breast tissue (which coves a large area) In other words, it may have nothing to do with your nipple or your pores. As far as how many pores emit (or appear to emit) milk, that varies tremendously from mom to mom and is unlikely to affect milk output -on the other hand, a severe plug could affect output...

more info- http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

You ladies are great! Kelly, dangling did the trick! And WOW I had no idea that clogs could be the size of a palm...but mine was well on its way.

She seemed to have drained more than half of it. My boob looks so small now I can hardly recognize it hahaha!

Any tips for preventing clogs other than no underwires? I have read that it is more common in the first few months of BF, is this true? Will these issues lesson with time?

Thank you ladies!!

Plugs definitely occur more often in the early months of nursing. Most moms have more supply and most babies are less good at latching and draining the breast, and those two factors together increase the risk of plugs. To prevent plugs, the best thing to do is to nurse on demand, to wear a properly fitted bra, and to vary your nursing position from time to time to ensure maximum drainage.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"