Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hand sucking

Default Hand sucking

My LO is 11 weeks old tomorrow, and for about 10 days now she's been constantly sucking her hand/wrist (she doesn't actually get the thumb in her mouth). She can't be hungry cause she does it right after she nurses too, and I think 11 weeks is a bit early for teething (at least I hope!). Does anyone know why she is doing this? Is there some need I'm overlooking?

Default Re: Hand sucking

Babies love to suck, and once they discover their own hands many babies will use them to self-soothe. It's not something you're overlooking. Just a new stage in your baby's development.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Exactly what PP said. My DS discovered his hands around that time, and now at 4.5 months he's still crazy about his hands!! He stops nursing sometimes just to suck on his hands for a moment, then back to nursing, then back to hands... No worries, your LO is perfectly normal.

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

My DS chews/sucks on his hands and always has. When he was little it was hard to determine when it was because he was hungry or just because. We figured it out eventually.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

As long as she's gaining weight fine, I wouldn't worry. Babies loves to suck! My DS started sucking his thumb around 3 months.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Maggie loves to suck her fist too but when she's hungry she vocalizes and wants me. I think she is starting to teethe bc she's also super drooly - she's three months old, and since her brother started around the same time, I know it is not too early.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.