Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fridging pump parts of Ameda between sessions??

Default fridging pump parts of Ameda between sessions??

So I am fed up with my Medela not working and not getting any help from customer service other than sending out a new pump which didn't solve the problem so I bought an Ameda purely yours. It seems a bit more complex/complicated to use than the Medela but I'm getting used to it. My question is with the Medela parts I was told it was perfectly normal and safe to throw everything in the fridge between sessions without rinsing and reuse. I work 12 hours and pump 3 times at work and having zero time to waste to wash everything.

Is it okay to do the same thing with the Ameda? And anybody using the Simple Wishes hands-free bra with an Ameda want to give me a hint as to how to do it right? With the Medela it was really easy as the flange came off the coonecter but being as the Ameda is all one piece I am struggling trying to get it in and out without having milk all droplets all over the place.

Default Re: fridging pump parts of Ameda between sessions??

Yes it's still OK to refridgerate you parts. The issue is the milk not the pump. Milk is good in the fridge for up to 7days. So you can leave in there over night and still not have to wash it. It's just that the milk you pump thru it should never be left in the fridge longer than the pump as been sitting there. So let's say you go to work on Monday. And rather that lugging the pump home and washing it monday night you take my advice and decide you are only going to lug it home to wash it on Wed and Fri. Monday's milk can be left fresh in the fridge thru Sun of that same week. But that is also true for the milk pumped thru it on Tues and Wed. And Then Thurs and Fri Milk can both only be left in the fridge till the Following Wed. Does that make sense? So you don't even need to clean it every day. As long as it is refriderated, the milk that is sitting in it is still considered fresh or good.

Way too lazy for formula

You are fine to put the pieces in the fridge. I rinse out the white rubber valve thingies before each use because if they get gummed up with partially dry milk they will stick and mess up your suction. DO NOT run the sink directly through them because they are temperamental and the force of the tap can stretch them out. I hold them in my cupped hand and run warm water into my hand.
    I'm not sure about the PP's comment about washing the pump since the Ameda pump itself doesn't get washed. If you fridge the parts during the day and then wash them with hot water before the next shift, you're good to go. I keep my pump pieces in a big tupperware and throw that in my bag when I leave the office. The pump can stay at the office.
    I have no idea about the pumping bra since I haven't found one I like. Good luck!

**Forgot to say, You can do the valve rinse thing when you're washing your hands, so it doesn't have to be an extra step really**
    Last edited by @llli*lehall; October 1st, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: forgot something

So I would remove the white valve, rinse it, leave it to dry but fridge the rest of the stuff assembled then put the white valve back on when I'm ready? The way I pump is I do a session around 8am when I drop her off at my mom's. Then I pump around 12pm at work, throw the stuff in the fridge, pump around 4pm at work using the stuff from the fridge then toss it back in when I'm done and finally around 8pm using the same parts then just take them home and wash them there. Does that all sound right? Sorry if I'm being stupid but lack of sleep plus mommy brain...

Yes it sounds fine. It still sound to me like you are doing more work than you need to if you are washing it every night....but yes that sounds fine.

Way too lazy for formula

I would keep everything connected during the day. I did that in a big ziploc bag.

I never washed or refrigerated my pump parts during the day (8 hours), and I didn't refrigerate my milk until I got home (sometimes up to 10 hours later for the 1st pumped milk).

I did pour the milk into separate bottles or bags so the bottles would be empty and ready for the next session and I didnt lug it around the building with me.

At the end of the day I would wash with water and use a microwave sterilizer bag or wash with soap and water and air dry, only once a week did I bring home and run everything through the dishwasher (except the white membranes)
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I think what I would do would be to take the white valves off right away (they can get sticky) then rinse them when you wash your hands, either before or after pumping. It's not really a sanitation issue so much as the fact that those particular valves can get gummed up which can mess up your suction.