Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When is the best time to pump... befor or after a feed??

Default When is the best time to pump... befor or after a feed??

Really need some opinions on when is best to pump and if the fact that even if you pump just befor LO is due a feed ther will still be milk ther for ther feed?
    I have been trolling the net trying to find out if this is correct or not? But every website has a compltley different thing to say about it all.

When i had my first LO milk supply was never an issue... i was constanly changing breast pads and having to pump as my breasts were often too hard and it made it hard for my LO to latch on. So as well as having an endless supply i also had a freezer FULL.

I feel so restricted this time round ...

Default Re: When is the best time to pump... befor or after a feed??

The best time to pump sort of depends on what you need from the pump. Do you need to boost supply because you feel like you don't have enough for baby when she nurses? Or are you trying to build a supply for work? Or a sitter? Is the baby generally nursing well, gaining weight, content after feedings?

The answers to those questions have a lot to say about the advice we should pass along.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i am trying to build up a supply for going bak to work and for sitters. i have 2 boys 14 months apart and time to myself is few and far between so being able to have a few hours to myself or to spend with my oldest son would be amazing. My baby is 8 weeks old now and gaining wait perfectly, feeds well and is content after his feeds.

Wher do i go from here? i have a medela pump this time and compared to the one i had last time round it seems really good.

The other problem i have is that i cant get baby to take a bottle i try and give it to him a few times a day with some water just to try get him used to drinking from it but so far its not really working. i have a calma bottle and that is even worse he hasnt got a clue what to do with either. =/

Thanks for answering the question! Okay, here's how most working moms around here get a stash going. They start by pumping once a day after the baby feeds, usually first thing in the morning. Most moms find that they have more extra milk at that time, since levels of Prolactin (the milk-making hormone) tend to peak overnight. So pump once a day for a few days, and see what you get. If you're getting several oz at a time, then you're well on your way to having everything you need for your first day back at work. Most pumping moms only need a few days reserve in the fridge/freezer, because they will be pumping fresh milk at work every day. If you don't feel like you are getting enough, choose a second time of day to pump and pump after feedings at that time.

It's not surprising that your baby hasn't been interested in the bottle yet. First, there's nothing in it that he likes. Try a breastmilk bottle, instead. And ditch the water: breastfed babies do not need it and in fact should not be given it for a variety of health reasons. Second, breastfed babies rarely take bottles from their moms. Why would they, when they know she has the real stuff just millimeters away? So try having a different caregiver- dad, grandma, a sitter- give the bottle and see if that makes a difference.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Ok, its all making more sence now =) I wont be pumping at work so i will slowly need to add in maby 2 more pumping sesions a day depending on how much i get each time, then reduce it back down to the morning sesion when i go back to work.

Ahh now that dose make sence i really should have thought of that. I plan to start pumping in the morning so will try keeping an oz and give him a bottle.

The other thing i wanted to ask was what is the best way to store the milk... i mean how many oz per bag. Last time round i often eneded up with alot of wasted milk. How long are you able to freeze it for? i have heard some people say 6mths others say 12mnths?

I think most moms store their expressed milk in small portions, maybe 1-4 oz per bag. The rule of thumb is that a baby needs about 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation from mom. If you freeze small portions, it is easier to offer small, frequent bottles instead of infrequent large ones. If the baby eats 2 oz from a bottle and wants more, then you give him a 1 oz chaser. And then another 2 oz an hour or so later, instead of giving him one huge 5 oz bottle- which is something that happens to a lot of babies in daycare!

Storage guidelines are that milk is good in a refrigerator's freezer for about 6 months, max. In a separate chest freezer/ deep freeze, it's good for as long as 12 months.

Why can't you pump at work?

ok so i have been pumping each morning after feeding baby. first few days i was only gettin 1oz each side but now im getting abou 2-3 oz each side. i have added in a sesion after i put him to bed too getting 1-2 oz he sleeps 7pm till 2am without a feed so a few nights iv been doing it again at 10 befo i go to bed getting another oz so stash is slowly but surly getting ther. =D

You mention up ther about large 5oz bottles....? Baby was away out with family so i pumped each feed he missed with me. each time getting 6-7oz (3-4oz each side) i pumped for 10mins each side because thats how baby feeds for.

I provided EBM for granny to feed to him and told her to feed him about 4oz every 3 hours because he feeds every 3hrs through thr day. when she returned she said she had to give him an extra 2-3oz at each feed.

Do you think he is really taking 6-7oz each feed from me? i wasnt sure because some people say a pump works better than a baby but others say it dosent... and i can remeber with my other son he loved to guzzle from a bottle and sometimes was sick from taking too much.

When i pump the 6-7oz comes easily and its a steady flow if i pumped for longer im sure id get another oz or 2.

Every baby is different in terms of how much he drinks. Mine have always had ~18 oz/9 hours (ie, about 2 oz/hour). If you are easily getting 6-7 oz when you pump, then your baby might well be getting a similar amount at his feedings (usually pumping is LESS efficient than nursing). My current baby started out with 4-5 oz bottles (I went back to work at 6 weeks) and now is up to 6-7 oz bottles (at 7 months). So I actually freeze in 6 oz bags. If you find that your baby is consistently drinking a bigger bottle, you might want to match your bag size accordingly (and save money on freezer bags). It sounds like you have a good milk supply and good pump output, though like mommal I'm also wondering why you can't pump at work and whether you'll be able to keep up if you're not.

also babies can't control the flow from the bottle like they can from the breast, so they will often finish a bottle (or get "encouraged to finish" the bottle by caregiver) even when they don't really want it.

i am also concerned about you not being able to pump at work. we can help you strategize about this if you tell us more details!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.