Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not keeping up with baby demand?

Default Re: Not keeping up with baby demand?

Oh no!!!
    Today's pumping sessions haven't turned out too good!
    So far I have 1 bottle of 2.5oz and 2 bottles with (almost) 3oz. What's going on??
    I am pumping exactly every two hours apart (counting from the begining of each session). This is crazy!! I thought I was doing ok and now I'm worried!
    I have one more to go, or maybe two if I can

your output today should be about the same as last week regardless of schedule.... adding in more frequent pumping sessions is usually quite startling because you are going to make the same amount for at least a few days while you body adjusts and since you are used to seeing high volumes with less frequents pumps you will need to give your body time to deal with the increased demand.

you may have already answered this but how long have you been back at work?
    has your period returned?
    have you spoken to your mother about other ways of soothing the lo so that she can try to stretch the bottles, perhaps offering smaller bottles and attempting to soothe before offering another bottle? have you tried to introduce a soother (like a paci) or your mother's fingertip?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I've been back at work for about 3 months now. And no, my period has not returned yet.

We tried giving her smaller bottles and she cries (and tried to soothe her rocking, white noise...) until she gets the rest. She never took a paci...

okay so it sounds like you have already gotten some great advice on bottle feeding and you are not at all interested in Changing the feeding pattern, just so you know that is where most of my advice would normally be geared. 4 ounces is ALOT for a 4 month old to be taking every 2 hours, ALOT.

as far as fenugreek goes, you know you are taking enough when you cannot stop smelling like maple syrup, when every single person mentions it, you finally have started taking enough

another thing you could try to ingest to increase supply is oatmeal, I despise oatmeal but I choked it down several times a day to keep my supply up after returning to work. also google lactation cookies, lots of moms like those, maybe your mom could make some?

so let's focus instead on the output/pump routine
    what was your previous pump schedule? I see you are pumping (at most) 4 times per day and nursing before work which is awesome. are you also nursing as soon as you return? is baby hungry when you return? how is her nursing when you are home (evenings and weekends?)

here is an example of what I am looking for on pump schedule(this was what mine looked like) I typically got a total of 12-14oz daily using this schedule while taking fenugreek and eating copious amounts of oatmeal (I was also taking medication that suppresses milk supply so it was very hard for me, I just want yo to know that lots of us have been where you are and can relate to the panic/stress you are feeling)

6:00am Nurse
    8:00am Pump
    10:30am pump
    1:00pm Pump
    3:30pm pump
    5:15pm Nurse
    6:00-9:30 nurse on demand/ nurse to sleep
    9:45pm hot shower
    10-10:45 PUMP while watching tv
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

also if I was you and in this situation I would go today and buy the avent slowest flow bottles/nipples and the attachment for your pump, you can pump directly into them. and I would also send the smaller 3 oz bottles. I think you have a babe who loves to suck and loves to be held.

one more trick, has your mom tried wearing your lo in a sling or wrap at all?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Wow! Great advise y'all!!
    @lidarin - that's how my previous schedule looked like when she was taking 4 bottles of 3oz. Now she started (whenever I started this post) to eat more (or it seems like she is eating more). Now, I'm pumping at 8, 10, 12, 2 and 4. And no, she wasn't hungry when I get home cause she has been taking 5 bottles and the last one around 4.

Today though, she took 4 bottles of 3.5 oz and she was ready to eat around 5:30 when I was back from work. It was this way (I think) because she nursed around 7 and slept until 9:15. Which hasn't been the case for the last week or so.

I do nurse on demand in the evenings and days off.

I planned on going to get the bottles today but thanks to the rain and the dumb drivers that won't slow down and cause accidents, I barely made it home on time for her feeding at 5:30. And then I didn't feel like going shopping in the rain. But I'll definitely do it tomorrow!

I'm kinda scared about tomorrow. I got 4 bottles of (a little less than) 3 oz

hang in there and come back her to try and work trough it, that's one of the greatest things about this forum... someone here has almost always been in that exact spot before
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

sorry if i am a little late to the post, but I worked the same hours as you with my first and it sounds like they were about the same size at 4.5 months.
    Do you feel you meet her demands on the weekends when she is taking the breast? If you do, than i dont think you have a problem with your ability to produce.
    I will tell you my story to see if it may help. I went back to work at 3 months after my maternity leave. My first day back i pumped 3 times between the hours of 8am and 5pm and pumped about 12 oz. That told me that she must have been eating that amount the day before when she just receiving the breast. So from that 12 oz amount, i had a starting point to increase from.......Pumping three times at work was not ideal for me so i went to twice a day after third day of pumping at work. I pumped at 11:30am and again at 3:30pm (i could get away with a little earlier or a little later by 15min). I was able to increase the amount i could pump in two sessions to 18 to 20 oz each day by leaving the pump on after my breasts were already empty. About 25 to 30 min each pump session. I would also gently massage them when i though they were empty and usually get a little more, than i would leave the pump on for another 5 to 10 min or so. The idea is to trick your breast into thinking you have an extremely hungary baby that needs more. I hope this helps you.