Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supplementing

Default Re: Supplementing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*worknpump View Post
    I agree . I guess what I meant was that it seems common for babies to have increased night wakings around this age for various reasons. I absolutely would offer to feed at each waking!!
    we're on the same page mama
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    Are you nursing as soon as you get home? I think on your schedule you may get home at 8, can you nurse right then? Because-I suggest possibly giving less milk and nursing right when you return, you may be able to stretch the amount you produce without supplmeenting. I did that when my girls were younger. My husband made their last bottle of the afternoon smaller so they would nurse right when I got home and it helped cover the gap.
    Not sure you said-what size bottles (oz) are you leaving and how many does baby drink?
    My husband usually will feed him somewhere between 630 and 730 pm. He usually only has to give one bottle to him of 3-4 ounces over one feed or two feeds. he gets home at 5 pm. I arrive home around 815-830 pm. I also have to quick shower as well since I work in a hospital and want to get all those germs off of me before touching my son. He usually gets hungry either while I am showering or soon afer.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Just trying to help...pimpin ain't easy and all.

OP ok your pumping yield is excellent, above average and his weight and diaper output are normal IMHO there isn't a problem. Do you nurse at night if he wakes? Maybe i m missing something but everything seems good. All babies have periods of waking frequently and being crabby and wanting to nurse more often.
    I added the sleep schedule for additional info. upon extra thought, i am thinking that is more related to adjusting from rock and play sleeper to the crib. He also has been staying up later at night. My main concern is not being able to pump enough while at work (which I know is a common issue) but it also concerns me that he is not getting what he wants while we are together. I am more concerned about the long term than anything else. I am starting to have to tap into my freezer supply and it concerns me about long term.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    Are you nursing as soon as you get home? I think on your schedule you may get home at 8, can you nurse right then? Because-I suggest possibly giving less milk and nursing right when you return, you may be able to stretch the amount you produce without supplmeenting. I did that when my girls were younger. My husband made their last bottle of the afternoon smaller so they would nurse right when I got home and it helped cover the gap.
    Not sure you said-what size bottles (oz) are you leaving and how many does baby drink?
    I leave 3 ounce bottles. he takes anywhere from 1-4 ounces per feed which is spaced out every 1-4 hours. 4 hours if a nap is in there somewhere and 1 hour if he "snacks". he averages 2.5 to 3 ounces. While I am away 15-16 hours, he drinks anywehre from 19-23 ounces. Most days it is about 22-23 ounces.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am more concerned about the long term and keeping up with what he eats. The sleep issue unpon more thought might be an unrelated issue. He has been staying up later than normal and has a lot of difficulty napping and getting to sleep. The napping has been going on for several weeks but getting him to sleep at night is getting more difficult. he used to solidly go down to sleep at around 930-945 but now he can go to sleep as late as 1130! He consistently wakes up in the 3am or 4 am hour. Now he will occasionally wake up at 1 am or 5 am.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irishmom View Post
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I am more concerned about the long term and keeping up with what he eats. The sleep issue unpon more thought might be an unrelated issue. He has been staying up later than normal and has a lot of difficulty napping and getting to sleep. The napping has been going on for several weeks but getting him to sleep at night is getting more difficult. he used to solidly go down to sleep at around 930-945 but now he can go to sleep as late as 1130! He consistently wakes up in the 3am or 4 am hour. Now he will occasionally wake up at 1 am or 5 am.
    Babies around his age sometimes start to prefer an earlier bedtime - perhaps that would help him go down more easily? I realize that you get home late, though, so it could be tricky...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

We actually try to get him down around 9-930.

What we noticed over the weekend is he is showing signs of teething. I didn't think he would start this early but he definitly is teething. It was funny because on Thursday night we considered it but didn't say anything to anyone. My mom watches him while I am at work and she said "I think he is teething" and his parents watched him on Saturday while we were at a wedding and both said "I think he is teething" And yesterday we both said "he is definitly teething!" I think the sleep issues now are related to teething along with trying to transition into the crib. I think both at the same time is way to overwhelming to him, so unfortunately we will have to wait to transition for a week or so. He also seemed to have more pain in the evening last night than any other time. And his pain was more when he was trying to eat. I felt so bad for him. He was trying so hard to eat and go to sleep! The gum stimulator and a cold wash rag to naw on helped. And he will have to sleep in the rock and play for a little longer. Oh well!