Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplementing

Default Supplementing

My son is 3 1/2 months old. He is gaining well with no problems. The amount he eats dailing had increased around week 11 at his growth spurt and has continurped to remain high. Recently he has been quite ravenous in the evening. Very hungry. Falls asleep after nursing then awake after 10-15 min and hungry again. This goes on 3-4 times. He gets fussy because he is tired. He is sleeping one less hour now during his first stretch (his longer stretch) or sometimes less than he did before and also wakes for an additional feeding. He also isn't napping well. I don't think my supply is enough for him. I am now pumping less at work than what he is eating. I am trying to increase it without success at this point. It is starting to stress me out. I am considering supplementing with formula in the evening. I am thinking 2-4 ounces of formula (while pumping at this time) and then nursing after if still hungry. What I'm looking for is some suggestions and if you think what I am thinking of doing is right.

Default Re: Supplementing

Increased wakings and increased nursings do not mean you have an inadequate supply. How's his weight? How many wet diapers in a 24hour period?
    And what have you don't to increase your supply?
    Also how many times are you pumping at work? How often, what do you yield and how much are you missing the demand by?

Way too lazy for formula

A crabby baby at 3.5 months is pretty normal. Not an indicator of low. Supply. Formula supplements will be counter productive. Instead, as shelly asked, what is your pumping schedule? Are you feeding baby all the times he wakes up? My thinking is growth spurt, teething and/or normal baby "witching hour" stuff...not low supply from the fact you presented.
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; September 28th, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Jenna her Pimping schedule is none of your business! Auto correct FAIL! (Get to a PC STAT!)

Way too lazy for formula

He has no issues with weight gain and has at least 6 wet diapers per day. I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts 3x/week with a 45 min to 1 hr commute. He went thru an almost two week long growth spurt at 11 wks. I was pumping less at that point, during it my supply increased with increased nursing, water, an extra pumping session prior to work (I pumped before leaving the house and pumped when I got to work) and two hours of power pumping. While at work I have my mom and my husband watch my son. He's not over fed. I've seen them give him bottles, went over an article from Kelly mom and we also tracked his feeding schedule (times and ounces) and it didn't seem abnormal.

My pumping schedule:
    LO usually nurses somewhere from 3am to 430 am.
    I leave the house at 530, have a 15 min commute to the train and a 30 min train ride
    I pump from about 630-650 before work
    Pump around 10
    Pump around 1
    Pump around 4-5
    Nurse around 830-9 pm

Today I am trying to add a quick 10 min pump at 730 before leaving work
    I can't really add another session in there
    I yield 4-6 ounces each pumping session total
    I yield 19-21 ounces per day (15-16 hrs) and he takes 21-23 during that time
    He drinks anywhere from 1-4 ounces but most are 2.5-3. Feeds 1-4 hrs. If its only been an hour, that's when he only takes 1 ounce.

At home, I've been trying to get him to nurse from both breasts. He normally takes only one because on occasion I get an OALD (it goes away and comes back every few weeks). On a day off, If I can, I'll either pump on one breast in the am While nursing on the other or keep him on one breast and pump the other right after.

Things I've tried:
    Water!
    Mothers milk tea though I don't consistently drink daily

As for teething, he's drooling a lot! But I don't see white buds on this lower teeth.
    We try offering a paci to see if it's comfort sucking (he has used it since 2 wks old with no nipple confusion) but recently doesn't take it as much from any of his caregivers so I think he's weaning himself off.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Jenna her Pimping schedule is none of your business! Auto correct FAIL! (Get to a PC STAT!)
    Just trying to help...pimpin ain't easy and all.

OP ok your pumping yield is excellent, above average and his weight and diaper output are normal IMHO there isn't a problem. Do you nurse at night if he wakes? Maybe i m missing something but everything seems good. All babies have periods of waking frequently and being crabby and wanting to nurse more often.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I was just going to suggest that you pump during your commute but I see that you take the train. Is that 15 min commute to the train walking or driving? If it's driving, try pumping while driving instead of that quick 10 minute pump before leaving work. You could also pump on the commute to the train in the morning.

Also, how long does he generally sleep for after nursing around 9pm? You could pump right after that nursing session.

Have you tried fenugreek? I take 6 capsules a day (3, twice a day) and it really seems to give me a little boost in terms of pumping output.

Hang in there. Keep up the good work. Don't stress - that will make it worse. Sleep regressions are normal at this age, and not necessarily related to hunger.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I wouldn't even call it regression...he's been alive 3 months what is there to regress to? It's normal baby behavior and you can and should offer to feed the baby when he wakes up.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Are you nursing as soon as you get home? I think on your schedule you may get home at 8, can you nurse right then? Because-I suggest possibly giving less milk and nursing right when you return, you may be able to stretch the amount you produce without supplmeenting. I did that when my girls were younger. My husband made their last bottle of the afternoon smaller so they would nurse right when I got home and it helped cover the gap.
    Not sure you said-what size bottles (oz) are you leaving and how many does baby drink?
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I wouldn't even call it regression...he's been alive 3 months what is there to regress to? It's normal baby behavior and you can and should offer to feed the baby when he wakes up.
    I agree . I guess what I meant was that it seems common for babies to have increased night wakings around this age for various reasons. I absolutely would offer to feed at each waking!!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135