Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 Month Old Pulling Off, Arching Back, Straining/Grunting

Default 4 Month Old Pulling Off, Arching Back, Straining/Grunting

For the past week or so my 4 month old has been pulling off during nursing sessions, arching his back and then grunting/straining/fussing. At first it was every session, but the past two days it has just been during his bedtime nursing session. Any ideas on what this is? I know there is milk there, because I've squeezed my nipples when he pulls off and there is milk. It's been particularly hard the past two nights because he's gotten so keyed up right before bed. ???

Default Re: 4 Month Old Pulling Off, Arching Back, Straining/Gruntin

It sounds like one of those weird baby quirks that you just can't put a finger on. Maybe he's full and wants to let you know that he's done nursing. Maybe he's uncomfortable- needs to burp, needs to poop. Maybe he's tired.

I assume weight gain and diaper output are both normal?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes to both weight gain and diaper output - sorry I forgot to include those. I try to burp him whenever this happens but I also wonder if it could be gas? He's been really gassy the past month. I'm going to ask the ped about it at his 4 month appointment on Monday but thought I would see if anyone had any insights. Thank you!

I remember mine doing similar things he had/has reflux. But I'm thinking it is more of just a phase than reflux. I just stopped burped played for a couple of min then offered again. I'd say it was 50/50 on whether he nursed more or not.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

I had a very similar situation when my baby was 3 months old. She was doing those EXACT same things, but it was mainly at lunchtime. I was at a loss and even posted on here about it. I thought she wanted the bottle and not me since she gets a bottle while I'm at work. I thought she might be teething. I thought it might be reflux. I never really figured out what it was, but she was spitting up a lot and really gassy around that time. We took her to a pediatric chiropractor for reflux twice, and she spit up WAY less the day of the first treatment. My husband thought I was crazy until he saw how much less she spit up and how much less gas she had. We're at 4.5 months now, and she's pretty much stopped those behaviors, and the reflux has subsided a lot. She did have 2 teeth pop up at 4 months, so every now and then she does sort of grunt and moan while bfing when I can tell her teeth are really hurting.

Anyway, it could be a phase, and it will probably pass. I don't know what caused my girl to act this way, but if you think it's reflux, I recommend trying a pediatric chiropractor. The one I went to didn't pop the back or neck or do anything really rough. She just kind of stretched her out and massaged her diaphragm. My daughter wasn't crazy about it, but the results were immediate, and we haven't had to go back since the second visit, and we're all more comfortable now that she seems more comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessicaruthie View Post
    I had a very similar situation when my baby was 3 months old. She was doing those EXACT same things, but it was mainly at lunchtime. I was at a loss and even posted on here about it. I thought she wanted the bottle and not me since she gets a bottle while I'm at work. I thought she might be teething. I thought it might be reflux. I never really figured out what it was, but she was spitting up a lot and really gassy around that time. We took her to a pediatric chiropractor for reflux twice, and she spit up WAY less the day of the first treatment. My husband thought I was crazy until he saw how much less she spit up and how much less gas she had. We're at 4.5 months now, and she's pretty much stopped those behaviors, and the reflux has subsided a lot. She did have 2 teeth pop up at 4 months, so every now and then she does sort of grunt and moan while bfing when I can tell her teeth are really hurting.

Anyway, it could be a phase, and it will probably pass. I don't know what caused my girl to act this way, but if you think it's reflux, I recommend trying a pediatric chiropractor. The one I went to didn't pop the back or neck or do anything really rough. She just kind of stretched her out and massaged her diaphragm. My daughter wasn't crazy about it, but the results were immediate, and we haven't had to go back since the second visit, and we're all more comfortable now that she seems more comfy.
    That is interesting - he has had a LOT of gas lately. And sometimes it seems like that is why he is straining/grunting. I will check it out. THanks!