Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusive Pumping

Default Exclusive Pumping

I am posting on behalf of my sister in law this time. She has a 6 week old baby. In the hospital, their was no lactation consultant, and the nurses did not encourage her to nurse often or wake the baby for feedings. She had a c-section so the baby was sleepy and so was she. With no guidance, the baby started with formula in the hospital and then has gotten a mix of formula and breast milk over the past 6 weeks.
    My sister in law told me after the first week that she did not enjoy nursing the babybecause it hurt, but wanted her to get the benefits of breastmilk, so she decided to pump. Having nursed one child successfully for a year and working on my 3 month old the advice I offered was pump often and used herbs to boost milk supply.
    After taking my advice she is still only pumping an ounce or two at a time and the baby is eating four. She is getting frustrated and was wondering if there was anymore advice out there for a woman who chooses to exclucivly pump.

Default Re: Exclusive Pumping

So many issues here, first off has she read the EP stickys?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Here is one but venture down to the pumping forums
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...nking-of-EPing...
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Let's start with the baby is being overfed. No newborn should be eating 4oz at a feeding. The baby would not be getting that much at the breast. 2oz is normal. And the baby would be at the breast every 1-2 hour in the day time. So if she is trying to mimic that, she needs to be pumping 10-12 times in a 24hour period. Is she? And is she trying to get the baby back to the breast? Because exclusive pumping is 50% more work. At least.

Way too lazy for formula

Also does she have a hospital grade pump? Exactly how often is she pumping. I agree it should be 12 x per 24 hour period and baby should eat very small frequent meals. Does she have help? Someone to wash the bottles etc. The best advice I have quite frankly is to do anything possible to get baby back to the breast. Is she interested in trying at all?
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I am not sure how often she is pumping, but she keeps telling everyone she does not like nursing the baby because it hurts. I told her she needs to go to an IBCLC but she has not listen to me.
    I guess she is not really interested if she is not even willing to come on the website and look at the resources. I spoke to her again last night and she thanked me for the suggestions and took down the information but I really don't think she will follow up. Thank you all for your time and answers but it looks like we all went to a lot of unnecessary trouble.

Just keep reminding yourself "not my baby, not my baby". Sometimes that's all you can do.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good for you for trying
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

All you can do is be available for her and offer information, that's all you can do. If she really wants the info, she will seek it out.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Could you maybe give her some support for the fact that it hurts. In my experience, the hurt went away after a few weeks and it was totally painless and comfortable. Ice packs helped me deal with the discomfort until then. Breastfeeding is something that you just have to kind of hang with for a while. It takes practice by both mom and baby and if mom is exclusively pumping, then they're not going to be able to get that practice.