Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: do I need to keep using the Symphony?

Default do I need to keep using the Symphony?

I was posting in the pumping forum (http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...buying-trouble) because I was stressing about my reduced output on the pump at work and not keeping up with my baby but I have a couple of followup questions and I'm realizing that the milk production forum might be more appropriate...

I rented a Symphony hoping that I would be able to pump more efficiently and stimulate my milk supply. I had used a Symphony when my baby was first born and in the NICU and it really helped me to get my milk supply up then. I've been using it for 3 days and I'm starting to see a difference. I'm now keeping up with my baby's bottle consumption while I'm at work. My question is, do I need to keep pumping with the Symphony (I was using a PISA before)? It seems like the obvious answer is yes, but I wondered if anyone here had success pumping with the Symphony or other hospital grade pump to increase their milk supply and found otherwise.

Thanks!

PS My baby is now 4 months old.

Default Re: do I need to keep using the Symphony?

You could try using the PISA for a week or so and see if you can maintain your supply with it. You probably can. I rented a Symphony and it's so much more comfortable than the PISA I just can't go back, though! Now I'm spoiled
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Thanks, you are right, it is great. I called the IBCLC who I spoke with before and she suggested keeping it another week. So I'll do that and see where I'm at. I wonder if I'll end up needing to rent it for 2 weeks every couple of months? I don't know. I would love to use it all the time but it's such a pain to tote around and not cheap to rent, either.

I also got spoiled by the Symphony and kept it until I was ready to pump wean. My LC gave me a price for a long-term rental...$55/month versus $70 I think. I dunno, it was just worth it me because it kept my supply up great, was quick, and quieter for me to use in the office. Worked for me. I still used the PISA to pump in the car if I needed to.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!