Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Balancing Solids and BM with 7 month old

Default Balancing Solids and BM with 7 month old

I posted this in the "starting solids" section too, so please forgive me if you are reading again!

I started my daughter on solids at 5.5 months and she is now a little over 7 months old. She LOVES solids and not once has ever shown signs of filling up on them. I have been getting progressively more and more worried that she is eating too many solids and this morning was the final straw. I nursed her until she drained both sides at 6 am then nursed her again on both sides at about 8:30. She didn't take as much at 8:30 but still took a lot and seemed to be finished. About 30 minutes later I fed her solids and she ate, no joke, an entire banana, 3/4 of an avocado, two tablespoons of yogurt, and two ounces of pears. She wasn't acting full either, but at this point I wasn't prepared to give her anything else. She played for another twenty minutes, nursed for only 30 seconds or so and took a nap. She is still nursing 5-7 times a day but I am giving her solids 3 times a day too, mainly because she loves them so much. Do you think the volume of breast milk she is getting is not enough? I always nurse her before giving solids and I usually nurse after too, but she doesn't take that much afterwards. I still have a lot of milk and I only feed her fresh food and usually very fatty foods. I do not give her any grains or any extremely starchy foods either. I intend to nurse well into toddlerhood and don't want the risk of my supply going down.

Default Re: Balancing Solids and BM with 7 month old

Once you start solids, you're on the road to reduced supply and complete weaning. But the road is usually a very long one! So I wouldn't worry too much. However, I think I might try to cut down a bit on the amount of solids your LO is eating by offering the breast more often. 5-7 nursing sessions per day is on the lower end for a 7.5 month-old baby- many babies are still nursing more like 8-10 times at that age. So I'd aim for at least 7 nursing sessions per day, and see if that changes anything.

How are you offering the solids? On a spoon, or are you letting baby self-feed?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I usually spoon feed but she often grabs the spoon and puts it in her own mouth so she is sort of self feeding. If I put it on the table in front of her she usually just smears it around and gets mad that I am not feeding her. I guess my bad for spoon feeding her in the first place. She does use the "mesh feeder" thingy and she has the pincer grasp ability. Honestly she does usually nurse at least 7 times, but in some of the sessions it feels to me like she may not be taking that much milk/ my milk doesn't let down. I would say she gets 5 good sessions and 2-3 shorter onces a day.

It sounds like you're doing just fine, then.

Do feel free to put away the spoons, though- sometimes babies can get more solids via spoon-feeding than they would via self-feeding. Not that there's anything wrong with that! But if you want to try cutting down on baby's solids intake, taking away the spoon might be an easy avenue to try.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your advice! I counted our good nursing sessions today and she had 7 long ones and 1 short session. I axed giving her solids at lunch time and she didn't seem to miss it!