Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giving up

Default Re: Giving up

Did they ever piggy-back Abilify on your anti-depressant (not Lithium)? Only your Dr. and you can possibly know what is best for you to be taking, and your number one priority needs to be your own health. There are a number of drugs that are bfing compatible, as PP stated; does your Dr. know that bfing is a priority for you?

It's a hard balance to strike. You need to take care of you so that you can be there for your LO, but I also understand the instinctual pressure you feel to be nursing your baby. There are ways to make both things happen, if that is what you feel is in your best interest. But at the end of the day, you deserve to feel better. There is no need to suffer because there are a lot of options for SSRIs out there that may work for you and allow you to continue providing breastmilk, but if not then your health is number one.

One step at a time: some sleep and a healthy meal full of energy and nutrients will go a long way to getting you fortified so that you can make confident decisions regarding your medications.

I've only nursed Camryn once, for 15 minutes. She won't latch. I'm an EP'er...

My Dr. is aware of my want to breastfeed... Which is why she tried so many other options. I've backed three of them with abilify. I'm currently on Zoloft w/ abilify, which I started after stopping my lithium to start trying to be pregnant (I had to be completely off lithium for 1 week prior to trying to conceive per Dr. advice.)
    The Dr stated with all the medications I've tried in the past, and the horrible reaction, that my only other option for my depression is to return to my normal prescription, and discontinue breastfeeding. So she filled the meds, and I just haven't taken them. I still take my zoloft/abilify.

Sleeping is the only thing I can still do. She sleeps through the night, so when I get home from work at 11pm, I sleep until she wakes up around 7-8am.
    Last edited by @llli*camrynsmom; September 29th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.

Camrynsmom, I think the PPs have given some good advice here that there are anti-depressents out there safe for breastfeeding. But it sounds like you have tried several of them and they just aren't right for you. We can't tell you what to do, but you deserve to feel better and also to let go of any guilt you may have for discontinuing breastfeeding. Carrying guilt around with you isn't good for you or your DD. You will have to make the decision that's right for you and your family.

That being said, have you tried counseling or other therapies in conjunction with the Zoloft? When I was suffering from depression, I needed both to manage my symptoms and feel my best.

Hang in there, mama.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I've been seeing a therapist on/off since I was abused at 17. I visit with her semi-monthly, and she's well aware of my current status.

Mama, if some of your depression issues stem from abuse there's a really good book out there that may help. It's called "When Survivors Give Birth", by Penny Simkin and Phyllis Claus. It specifically talks about the issues that crop up when an abuse survivor goes through the experiences of being pregnant, giving birth, and nursing a baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, if some of your depression issues stem from abuse there's a really good book out there that may help. It's called "When Survivors Give Birth", by Penny Simkin and Phyllis Claus. It specifically talks about the issues that crop up when an abuse survivor goes through the experiences of being pregnant, giving birth, and nursing a baby.

I was about to suggest the same book.

I read that while I was pregnant, it was a good read. I suggested it to to a few of the women in my rape support group.

So right now since you have given birth you have been going bi-weekly to see your therapist?

Way too lazy for formula

No, I see my therapist twice monthly, not weekly.

Oh sorry! I meant bi-monthly! Which is twice a month. So you are talking to her about the way you are feeling about all this every other week? What does she think?

Way too lazy for formula