Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Giving up

Default Re: Giving up

My baby did not nurse until he was 12 weeks old. Never latched in the hospital, never latched with the LC, never latched period. I was advised to try and latch him for 5 minutes prior to giving him a bottle of breast milk ( I was EP'ing). Not only did he not latch, he would scream, arch his back, flail his arms, kick, yell and made it clear that he was having NONE of this.

Then one day at 8 weeks he suddenly acted like he wanted to nurse, so I offered him the breast, and he latched and nursed for a full feeding. I was overwhelmed with joy thinking FINALLY! Then two hours later, he started to get hungry again so I offered to nurse. He threw a fit, screamed, cried etc. So, I gave him a bottle. I tried to nurse him for a few days after that HOPING that he would nurse again. But he didn't. I think I busted out crying at least a dozen times because I was so sad.

4 weeks after that (at 12 weeks of age) he did the same thing, reached for my shirt like he wanted to nurse. So, I offered it to him and we never looked back The first week of nursing was hard work. There were a couple of times he got really upset when I offered him the breast and I was so fearful he would start rejecting nursing again. I had to give him 20-30 seconds of the bottle before each nursing session prior to transitioning him to the breast. For whatever reason, this really worked. About a week later I was able to phase out giving him a little “hit of the bottle" before nursing.

I work FT and he is at day care. Today they told me they are actually having difficulties getting him to take the bottle! So, loooong story short, I know it seems like it will never happen. I can't tell you how many times I sobbed wishing my baby would nurse. I couldn't even look at nursing books or nursing bras or anything related to nursing because I was too upset. I know 8, 12 or 16 weeks can seem like an eternity, and I absolutely thought my baby would never nurse and I would spend a year strapped up to that pump. Slowly and surely, and not without headaches, it did happen. There is hope

I know what you are going thru my lo is 11 weeks old and I am eping. It is so hard since I have 4 other children my daughter was born with a soft palate cleft and can not breastfeed. I have used the sns and nipple shield so we could have the breastfeeding experience but she is now refusing to go to the breast and I still try every day but no luck she prefers the bottle. I am so tired and pumping is taking up so much time from my other children I feel guilty. I am so sad to know that I will never be able to experience breastfeeding her. She won't have surgery until she is 9 mos and my milk supply is diminishing already. I can only get 4 oz a day. So I also feel like giving up. All we can do is be proud that we made it this far and did our best. Thinking of you

I don't know your specific problems but I have suffered from pretty bad depression especially after my first child. I never asked for help then. I know what it's like to not be able to ask for help once you're already down. I am currently taking Wellbutrin XL. It has helped so much! I know when you are down it is almost impossible to pick up the phone and ask for help but if you don't do it for yourself do it for your baby! And you have to do the best you can do. Pumping is working for now. Just take it one day at a time. Every morning just commit to keep up the pumping/bf for the day. You can do it! If you need someone to talk to or vent to feel free to PM me!