Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weening

Default weening

I have been breastfeeding my little girl for 8 months now and have enjoyed every minute of it. I was only able to do about 6 weeks with my son, so this is a huge accomplishment and i'm very proud of myself. However, here lately it seems like she wants to ween off the breast. I'm not quite ready for that and I know a lot of it has to do with getting a bottle at daycare while I'm at work. What should I do? I'm going to keep going but it gets very frustrating when I'm trying to breastfeed at home and she keeps unlatching. I really need some help and advice on what I should do. Should I exclusively pump and give her a bottle or keep trying to get her to take my breast while at home? I'm afraid that if I go to exclusively pumping my milk will not be as plentiful as it is now. I don't have an oversupply, I have just enough to get through the week at daycare and only pump at night on the weekends. Thanks for the help!!

Default Re: weening

8 months is prime time for highly distractable nurslings! You can try to find a quieter environment to nurse for now, but it will likely pass after a couple of months. A lot of mothers think their babies are weaning at this stage, but most of the time it's just that they are so busy and interested in what is around them? Do you think that could be it?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I thought nursing strikes only happened to mothers who didn't offer on demand or bottle fed their babies until I had one of those babies I'm a SAHM and never gave a bottle to any of my babies but DD3 went through a period of being too distracted, imagine being the 3rd of 3 girls, everything is more exciting than nursing! I don't really know what worked for us, she is now 10+ mo and she is nursing strong again (hoping it stays this way) This is what I've done:

1) We co-sleep so her stronger nursing sessions are before naps and throughout the night.
    2) I stopped pushing her to nurse, if she is not interested I don't force but I offer often
    3) Always nurse before meals

Dark rooms or quiet places didn't work and also, were never possible to accomplish either.