Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reuse warmed up milk?

Default reuse warmed up milk?

Hello,
    My ds (8 months old) is starting daycare soon so I started to pump milk and trying to get him use to drink from a bottle (didn't succeed yet...). My question is, milk that I had in the fridge and I warmed up, can I keep it again in the fridge and use it the next day or should I throw it?
    Thanks!

Default Re: reuse warmed up milk?

I pitch it, but I always had more milk than I could use so I may have felt differently if I needed to be stingy with the milk. It is liquid gold, after all!

Studies have concluded that if saved immediately after using that it may last for up to 48 hours as long as milk collection devices were clean. I think it depends on how long you're talking about saving it and how long it had been out in between.

Thank you!
    It's been out just 10 minutes after warming it up and trying if he wanted. He just played a bit with the bottle but didn't want to drink from it so I thought that it was a pity to discard it. BUt I don't have problems to get milk either so I will just throw it to be safe. Thanks again.

I'd save it for the next feeding. If it goes unused at that time, then I'd toss it. That's just me!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

The first few weeks we were introducing the bottle, this happened a lot for us as well. I consulted a bunch of sources and found there aren't many hard rules on this and it's mostly a judgment call for parents (the live cells in breast milk will keep it good for much longer than regular milk, and counteract the bacteria introduced via baby's mouth, but the "experts" tend to err on the side of caution in terms of advice given to parents). In our case, I would just put the whole bottle back in the fridge, then try it again later, but I would try to use it that same day. I didn't warm it up more than twice though ... after the second try, if there was still any left, I would toss it at that point. (But I also have plenty of milk so we weren't too stingy either.) Since it took my LO a while to get the hang of it, I was only using 1-2 oz at a time so that we wouldn't waste too much.

IF it was only fresh milk that went into the fridge and it was never frozen then it can be put back in the fridge. IF it came out of the freezer it needs to be pitched it hasn't been consumed in a couple of hours.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks ladies! I pumped fresh milk again today. But I will definitely start trying with less milk not to waste, thanks for the advice

Just a thought... Have you tried offering him the milk without warming it?

Some babies will take it straight out of the refrigerator. If he happened to be one of those who doesn't mind it cold, it would be one less thing to worry about!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Just a thought... Have you tried offering him the milk without warming it?

Some babies will take it straight out of the refrigerator. If he happened to be one of those who doesn't mind it cold, it would be one less thing to worry about!
    Good point. It's worth a shot. My DD will take a room-temp bottle. And she'll even take it a little cold if she's really hungry.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135