Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Breastmilk Production

Unhappy Low Breastmilk Production

Hi,

My daughter is 9 months now and i really want to feed her breastmilk till she is a year old...but my milk is drying up..i am exclusively pumping, and i pump twice a day..and get only an ounce per pumping session and if im lucky i get two ounces per pumping session...please help me...really want to continue giving her breastmilk

Default Re: Low Breastmilk Production

First of all, welcome, and congratulations for making it this far with exclusive pumping. You have done an amazing job and you should be so proud! It is very difficult for some moms to sustain a full supply by exclusively pumping as long as you have.

Some questions:

What type of pump are you using? New or used?
    Does dd take solids?
    How much BM do you feel you need for her daily, at this point?
    Would it be possible for you to add more pumping sessions?

Thank U so much...feel so much better after reading that..well im using the Medela Pump in Style..its new. Nikita (my daughter) is taking solids..has around 4 tbspns cerial and around 4 oz of veggies/meat a day...She has around 20oz of milk a day (formua +whatever BM i get)..would love to give her 20 oz of BM but dont know if that is possible when im getting only 3 oz of BM now I can definately add in more pumping sessions.. im open to any suggestions..dont want to give up yet.

I also wanted to know..will taking calcium suppliments help..and if they will then what should the dosage be like?

Quote Originally Posted by smitha View Post
    Thank U so much...feel so much better after reading that..well im using the Medela Pump in Style..its new. Nikita (my daughter) is taking solids..has around 4 tbspns cerial and around 4 oz of veggies/meat a day...She has around 20oz of milk a day (formua +whatever BM i get)..would love to give her 20 oz of BM but dont know if that is possible when im getting only 3 oz of BM now I can definately add in more pumping sessions.. im open to any suggestions..dont want to give up yet.
    According to the LLL Breastfeeding Answer Book, most moms who exclusively pump are able to sustain their supplies with 4-6 pumpings per day (for 17 minutes average each time). If you need to increase supply it is recommended that you increase to 6-8 times per day, and then once your supply is back where you need it, you can cut back.

How long have you had to supplement with formula? Did you have a full supply at one time?

Are you on any medications? Birth control? Could you be pregnant?

Do you think your pump is working well?

Since it is a new Medela PIS, you may wish to check the Medela website and verify with them that all parts are working correctly. It has happened that some moms find a broken part on a pump which has caused a lower suction, and decreased supply.

As for the calcium, there are no studies which show calcium will help supply. The main thing you need to do is express more, to tell your breasts to produce more.

Hope this helps!

I have to say again: Lucky, lucky baby to have you expressing milk for her for 9 months!

is it wise to pump for an average of 17 minutes if you get let-down after a few minutes of pumping and then get nothing else after several more minutes? will I get more milk if i continue to pump even if nothing comes out?!

Cool Re: Low Breastmilk Production

Im not an expert... im having my own pumping problems.. however, I was told to keep pumping for at least 15-20 min even if nothing is coming out to help increase the supply. It isnt really working for me, but thats what I was told by the LC.

Quote Originally Posted by touchs View Post
    is it wise to pump for an average of 17 minutes if you get let-down after a few minutes of pumping and then get nothing else after several more minutes? will I get more milk if i continue to pump even if nothing comes out?!
    Well, that depends on your pumping goals. Are you trying to build supply? Pumping for an occasional separation? Or pumping for milk while at work?

I'm pumping at work and trying to get enough milk to feed him the next day without going into my freezer stash. it seems like everyday, i get less and less amount when i pump. i've been pumping for the last 7 1/2 month and so far go good but i also want to be able to bF until 1 year.