Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding while offering solid foods

Default Breastfeeding while offering solid foods

I have heard that a breastfed baby should be fed every 3-4 hours max during the day. Does this remain true once the baby has started on solids? My daughter is just about to turn 6 months and is eating rice cereal once per day. Should she still be nursing every 3-4 hours, even when she begins to eat cereal/fruits/veggies more than once per day? Thanks!

Default Re: Breastfeeding while offering solid foods

as a general rule of thumb a breastfed baby should be fed 'on demand' regardless of schedule. when introducing solids it's suggested that you nurse first then offer solids after. at this age solids are more for exploration than nutrition... many moms here have had great success introducing solids via Baby led Solids (BLS) or Baby led weaning (BLW) ....

this approach allows baby to self feed and many moms find it less stressful and cheaper as well since there are no special foods to buy, mix, or store... you simply offer softer foods that the rest of the family is eating... HTH if you are interested in BLS / BLW there are several informative threads here in the subject and I'd be happy to bump them up for you
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I would continue to offer at least every 3 hours if baby is demanding less frequently than that. Breastmilk is supposed to supply the majority of baby's nutrition until 12 months, with solids "complementing" but not replacing breastmilk to any large extent. That generally means nursing at least 8 times in a 24 hour period.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Feeding on demand is always the best option for breastfed babies. Your baby will tell you (in his/her own way) when they are hungry. To avoid them not getting enough breast milk I've read that you should always offer the breast first and then let them eat what they want after. My baby has her own routine; because cereal makes her sleepy I nurse her then offer her oatmeal and a veg or fruit then nurse her again to put her down for a nap. This isn't necessary, it's just what I've picked up that she wants to do. So listen to your baby and always offer the breast first.

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm new to this site, so @llli*lidarln what does it mean to "bump up" the threads, and where would I find them? I had read in a baby magazine that pediatricians recommend offering solids first and then nursing. So I'm glad I posted this because it seems like I should nurse first and offer solids afterwards. Won't her eating cereal/veggies/fruits throughout the day make her less hungry and less likely to nurse every three hours? If she's not hungry enough to nurse should I pump to keep up the supply? Thanks again everyone for your help. I'm obviously a first time mom and still trying to figure out what's best in regards to milk supply.

To "bump" a thread is to post something on it- usually just the word "bump"- thereby bringing it up to the top of the new posts. Makes it easier for people to find; no searching through page after page of stale old threads!

The advice from that baby magazine for only good for a mom who wants to rush the transition to solid foods and wean ASAP, and then it's only good after a year because until a year breastmilk is supposed to make up the "majority" of the baby's diet with solids only as a "complement".

I wouldn't bother with the pump unless your baby is refusing to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"