Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Inhibited Letdown :( 1+ hr suckling, no let down HELP

Default Major Inhibited Letdown :( 1+ hr suckling, no let down HELP

my letdown is not really working! my poor patient baby tried for over an hour with just one letdown on one side. i ended up feeding him pumped milk from the prev day, but i cant either pump anything now bc of the inhibited letdown. :'-(

this happens at least 1x/day. i am already on zoloft, so what else can i do?

I am trying ot get Oxytocin nasal spray - does that help?

Default Re: Major Inhibited Letdown :( 1+ hr suckling, no let down H

Welcome to the forum!

Are you absolutely sure your milk didn't let down? When baby was nursing for an hour, was she swallowing at all? The reason I ask is that some moms expect to feel their letdowns, and not everyone does. In addition, letdown sensation tends to diminish with time- but that doesn't mean baby isn't getting anything. In general, it's not recommended that a mom resort to feeding pumped milk, because the baby is almost always better at getting milk out than mom thinks. In general, again, all that's necessary is to nurse the baby and watch diaper output. If baby is peeing/pooping enough, she is getting enough to eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am positive that the milk was not coming out. He was not swallowing. I can always feel the let-down, it's almost painful on the one side. It is SO frustrating, and I am hugely engorged now. I couldn't even pump out the milk. I am so frustrated. I don't know if I need to take another anti-anxiety medicine that works better, or what. My OB does not want to rx the oxytocin nasal spray I am so close to giving up nursing, which I do not want to do at all, but this is so frustrating and hard, and if I can't get the milk out, my supply will tank (I do not have an oversupply).

Sometimes my letdown is delayed when I am stressed or rushed. I find the best way to get over it is to not think about it. I know - easier said than done. Is there any way you can do something to get your mind off it while you are nursing or pumping? Look at a magazine, read a book, watch TV?

Another thought is to use heat on your breasts. Might sound odd, but having my breasts really warm seems to help relax everything. Can you put some warm compresses on your breasts? A sock with some flax seeds warmed up in the microwave for about 30 seconds would work.

If you really think your anxiety is not being managed by your medication it couldn't hurt to discuss the issue with your doctor, or see a psychiatrist if necessary. Are you involved in any counseling to help you develop ways to manage it?

I've also heard that the herb marshmallow root helps with letdown. But I wouldn't take any herbs before consulting your doctor since you are on medication already.

Hang in there. I'm sure it will get better.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I can also feel my letdowns and have had the occasional session when I obviously didnt have one. I've noticed the same as the pp - if I can distract myself, it'll often come. The more I think about it, the worse it is. I also notice the more tired I am, the more often my letdown is delayed. The worst sessions are overnight, when I'm exhausted.

So, my experience is to get enough rest and not worry/think about it. Haha - easier said than done, right?

I would recommend a hot shower followed by relaxing in front of the tv with a big glass of water.... don't bother dressing when you exit the shower just wrap up in a blanket or fluffy robe, grab baby, and sit right down to relax... don't force or push babe to nurse just snuggle him near the breast against your bare skin... when he starts to root nurse but do not concern yourself, just watch TV and try to distract yourself.... and Hang in there!!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

In my Personal experience it is possible to have both painful very obvious letdowns sensation and no letdown sensation in the same general time. With the same baby I have painful letdowns I had one earlier this morning. But just now I nursed my baby and did not feel the letdown at all although I very obviously did letdown she's nursing and swallowing fine.
    Do you have pain when nursing pain inhibits let Down.
    Also when a mother is engorged it is like her breast is congested with fluid. So it can be much more difficult to have milk come out either via pumping or baby nursing. At those times it is important to try to frequently remove milk in whatever amounts you can get without hurting yourself. In other words if you're pumping do not pump at a super high setting. Try hand expression gentle massage baby nursing if that is comfortable or pumping out a low setting. Sorry I am on my phone and my punctuation is probably lacking.

Inhibited letdown is such a vicious cycle! You have trouble having a letdown, which makes you tense and anxious, which makes it harder to let down, which makes you more anxious...

A good TV show was my best bet, but then my problems with delayed letdown weren't all that severe.

It is possible anti-anxiety medication could help. If there are specific meds you'd like to talk over with your doctor, I could email you some info or you could call InfantRisk.

Are you able to nurse lying down? I'm wondering if it would help if you could doze off a bit while you're nursing at night.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thank you, ladies for all of the thoughtful responses!! I have been reading books on the kindle (I absolutely hate television, unfortunately?...) to help distract me... on child psychology, so getting an education on how to handle my defiant middle child...

For the past few days, I have been taking very small doses of klonozepam, thanks to my CRNP, and that seems to help A LOT. Also, the major stressor in the household, my 4YO son, who is not adjusting well (he chucked my laptop on Monday...), has been sent to Grandma's in Altoona for a few days.

It does seem, tho', after a few days, the klonopin makes DS so sleepy that he eats infrequently and sleeps too much - but, he IS at six weeks? So maybe growth spurt? He was not happy today unless he was at the breast - from NOON UNTIL 9PM. (Is that normal????) I am exhausted and my nipple is more sore than ever.

ps: i had tried the hot shower, massage, warm booby tubes, and none of those helped. also, he will not nurse side lying :'-(