Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to be sure it's high lipase

Default Re: How to be sure it's high lipase

I hate to say that some bags are just not good because some people might have had luck with them -- but the Medela and Ameda bags warn you against getting milk in the zipper because it won't freeze properly. I don't know how anyone can not get milk in the zipper, either pouring or pumping directly into them! That's almost impossible. I thought it was fishy that the few milks my sitter said smelled bad (so grateful she caught it) were the Medela but the Lansinoh were totally fine. Double-zipper bags seem to be the way to go. Some other moms on here have recommended the Honeywell bags, also.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I took milk in a Lansinoh bag that was pumped in the last 48 hours to sitter on Thursday. The milk was refrigerated, never frozen. The sitter tested the milk. She said it was fine and LO took a 5oz bottle like a champ. Daddy picked him up early. Another 2 oz from the same milk with no problem shortly before I got home. Then nursed. Sitter said he was a much happier baby and took long hard naps compared to his normal restless short naps.

Friday had some milk in a Lansinoh bag from Tuesday and milk pumped on Thursday. He took all the milk I sent. More than he's ever eaten at the sitter's house. Sitter tested all bags before giving to LO and she said they were all sweet!

I'm sending frozen milk in Lansinoh bags on Monday. We'll see how it goes. Again, I'll post, just in case any of this helps someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post

I scalded my milk two ways - either using a baby bottle warmer or by putting several bottles in a pan on the stove. I put the bottles that I pumped into in a water bath, heated it up to 160 F for 15 seconds, did not let it go over 180, and then quickly moved the bottle into an ice bath (tub with water and ice) to cool it quickly. Then I put the milk into freezer bags and froze it.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm curious about your scalding technique--do you mean you put the bottles in a pan and then heat it up to 160 or that you heat the water to 160 and then put the bottles in for 15 seconds? For various reasons, I'm not happy with my scalding technique, so I'm curious how you do it! Thanks.

Can my husband scald milk to give to her after its been frozen and thawed? I feel like this is a stupid question but I wanted to ask anyway. Thanks!

your husband can help you scald milk. Mine did and does all the time. But it needs to be done prior to the freezing process. Or at least at some point before the milk goes 'bad'. In the height of my lipase issues (it can come and go) I would just scald and then use the handling recommendations for regular breast milk. So, if DS was using it the next day it stayed refrigerated but longer than a few days I would go ahead and freeze.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*evolvingmama View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm curious about your scalding technique--do you mean you put the bottles in a pan and then heat it up to 160 or that you heat the water to 160 and then put the bottles in for 15 seconds? For various reasons, I'm not happy with my scalding technique, so I'm curious how you do it! Thanks.
    I put the bottles into a pan that was full of water. Then I turned the burner on. I put a thermometer in one of the bottles - usually the one that had the least amount of milk in it, because that one would reach temperature fastest. Then, once it hit 145 degrees F, I only left it in for 15 seconds, although usually it was less, because as soon as it hit 160, I pulled it out. Sorry, I got the temperatures mixed up before, I think. I didn't want it to get to 180 because that's the temperature water boils at where I live.

OP - I'm relieved for you that it's a bag issue. Good luck.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Oh yeah I wanted to add to the bag part of the discussion.

I like honeysuckle bags (online only I think) and they have 'food' bags that are smaller and can be used for breast milk too. so less plastic waste
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!