Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby getting a little violent when feeding

Default Re: Baby getting a little violent when feeding

Mine does the same stuff. It's ridiculous. I feel like I need a third arm to wrangle him in. If it gets really bad, I tuck his bottom arm securely either between his body & mine or up behind my cradle arm so he can't pinch me, and hook my other arm up under his top leg & using that same hand to grab the wandering hand. I don't have a lot of advice to offer ... just wanted to say you're not alone!

My DD has started doing the same thing, unless we're lying down. (Then she just closes her eyes and gets the job done!) No kicks yet, but she does this crazy arm swinging in front of her face thing. It usually makes me giggle, which makes her unlatch, smile and get this serious look while swinging her arm again. Weird...but I like the testing-it-on-mom theory. I remember wanting to test all kinds of stuff on my brothers as a kid. Isn't that part of what family is for...?!?

Seriously, a nursing necklace to distract and twiddle with. If you wait then it gets harder because twiddling YOU becomes part of their deal. Take it from someone who actually got stress induced psoriasis SPECIFICALLY from her child twiddling and pulling at her breast between 6&9month. Interesting thing about psoriasis, once you have it, you can get it ANY where you body is experiencing stress. So while I haven't had an outbreak as horrible or as LONG as the one I got when he started twiddling, I now get it on my ELBOWS all the time. When I seriously NEVER had it until DJ started pulling at my tits. AND because I waited so long to get the necklace I totally had to retrain him. It became a beloved thing that was in his favorite toys for years after we didn't need it, but if I had it to do over, I would have introduced it BEFORE he started to reach up while nursing. So that it would have been there earlier and would have been what he STARTED reaching for.

Way too lazy for formula

I must be a bad mom... LOL! I'm too impatient. I have four kids and I home school the three oldest, so when my 3 1/2 month old starts doing stuff that is painful... I stop bfing him and put him down for a while!

((his favorite thing to do when he is worked up is to chomp down with him gums really hard and turn his head away...taking my nipple in with him!!)) OUCH!!!

I notice if I put him down for a few minutes and walk away. I am not mean, but I frown and say, "Ouch, that hurts."... that in a few minutes, when I pick him up again, he will usually latch nicely and feed well. I don't know if this is just some really early discipline??? if that's possible... I mean, he's just a wee thing!!

I did something similar to krissyNfour I would take it as long as a could tolerate it and then put him down to play or hand him over to dad. Even if he cried for just a couple of minutes I'd sort of 'reclaim' myself. Then if he was happy in his new activity I went with it. If not then I would try it again. My DS has gotten tons better but he is still difficult at times.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Sorry I haven't been back to update.

DJ's mom--thanks for the tip on nursing necklaces. I've never heard of such a thing before, but I'll definitely get one. I haven't been wearing jewelry lately because C would pull on it, but a necklace designed for her to pull on would be great. She seems to have calmed down the last few days, but it would still be a good idea.