Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does this pattern sound familiar to anyone?

Default Re: Does this pattern sound familiar to anyone?

Don't worry - if you've had oversupply, your supply is generally very responsive to stimulation, and will increase as needed if you just feed on demand. No need for fenugreek at this point.

If your baby is sleeping soundly and not asking to nurse, I would conclude that she is not hungry, not that your supply is low!?

You do know that after a couple of months, most women notice that they do not feel as full or feel letdowns as strongly, but this does NOT mean that the milk is not there ... right? It's just your body getting used to nursing and normalizing the process a bit. So maybe that's all that's happening here. If baby's diaper output is good and they're happy and growing, all is well.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Don't worry - if you've had oversupply, your supply is generally very responsive to stimulation, and will increase as needed if you just feed on demand. No need for fenugreek at this point.

If your baby is sleeping soundly and not asking to nurse, I would conclude that she is not hungry, not that your supply is low!?

You do know that after a couple of months, most women notice that they do not feel as full or feel letdowns as strongly, but this does NOT mean that the milk is not there ... right? It's just your body getting used to nursing and normalizing the process a bit. So maybe that's all that's happening here. If baby's diaper output is good and they're happy and growing, all is well.
    No, I'm pretty sure this was due to my attempt to block feed for the first time starting Saturday morning, until Sunday morning/afternoon when the baby seemed to be unsatisfied after taking everything she could from both sides. (previously I've only been feeding on one side per feeding, because that's about all she will take, an average of 10 minutes every two hours, and still she gained four pounds in her first month...) I knew eventually my supply would even out and I would feel "soft" all the time, but this really feels wrong and like the baby is continually unsatisfied for the first time. I should have just waited for that self regulation but I was afraid the OS was causing some of these reflux-like symptoms and wanted to see if reducing it would make it better...

She wasn't not asking to nurse, rather she would wake up briefly, cry and shake her head all around like she does when looking for the nipple, but keep her lips pursed or only stick her tongue in and out, until she got too frustrated and would pass out again on my chest. She got 5 mins here, 7 mins there, and that was about it from 12 to 6 when I finally got 20 alert minutes of sucking.

Since then she has been insatiably, angry hungry as far as I can tell. I'm putting her on as often as she asks and doing everything possible (walking, shushing, etc.) to keep her on until letdown, but even after that she's pulling off angry.or, as right now, she's just sucked actively 20 minutes on each side, tapering down to a contented suckle, and then fell asleep. Until I put her down/in the moby wrap--- now she's head bobbing and panting again. I don't know if there is anything left! I'm thinking if she just refuses to try anymore but still seems hungry, I should use some of the emergency milk stash from the freezer and pump, or do I let my breasts "replenish" while she sleeps? SO confused.

I bet she will be a lot happier tomorrow. If you give her milk from the stash, you must pump, because it's that stimulation that tells your body to make more. She's probably hitting a growth spurt and that just happened to coincide with your block feeding, with the ultimate result that she wants more than you are producing today. But tomorrow (even tonight) will probably go much much better.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Block feeding can sometimes work TOO well. Sounds like this is what may have happened to you. Just keep nursing lots and your supply will increase again. If you need to, then dip into your frozen milk. Do what you need to.

If you want to pump extra while she sleeps that will help bring your supply back too. Maybe leave some milk in your breasts, though, in case she wakes up earlier than expected.

The golden rule is: the more throughly and frequently you empty your breasts, the more milk your breasts make.

You can definately try fenugreek capsules if you want, this should give you a boost.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thanks for your advice. I'm afraid this might be the GERD taking a turn for the worse, or at least she's losing her patience and associating food with pain so much so that this is her new way of dealing with it. She barely ate last night and I do not feel full at ALL this morning. All I have is the dinky little Medela Harmony pump, so I contacted the awesome lactation center near us for a consultation and to see if I could rent a pump short-term, just in case. I get that feeding on demand typically ensures that the baby gets what she needs, but the pattern these past couple days (and last night, for the first time, was not any better than the daytime) is that she's not feeding very much or very frequently at all until stuffing herself at the end of the day, which obviously is not great for the reflux. I'm just so terrified of losing my milk and having to go to formula, even to supplement, because they say acid reflux on formula is much worse than when breastfeeding. Waiting to hear back from the doctor and the lactation consultants. I may be prematurely panicking but I just want to have everything in place. I don't know how long it takes to "lose" your supply to a point where it's hard to recover. Thanks again for your tips and thoughts, Monika and Joe's mom.

As babies get older, they get really fast and efficient at the breast, emptying a breast in minutes instead of 45 minutes or whatever. Are you sure your supply is low? How are her diapers?

P.S. It would take a massive decrease to lose your supply past the point of recovery, especially if your supply was generally good in the beginning. I had to wean Joe entirely off one side (quickly, and without any time to increase production on the other side) to recover from a breast surgery, and was later able to relactate and go back to EBF. That was not easy, but then, that's not your situation. If your baby is genuinely not getting enough, you should pump to keep your production up or increase production.

You can call me JoMo!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    As babies get older, they get really fast and efficient at the breast, emptying a breast in minutes instead of 45 minutes or whatever. Are you sure your supply is low? How are her diapers?

P.S. It would take a massive decrease to lose your supply past the point of recovery, especially if your supply was generally good in the beginning. I had to wean Joe entirely off one side (quickly, and without any time to increase production on the other side) to recover from a breast surgery, and was later able to relactate and go back to EBF. That was not easy, but then, that's not your situation. If your baby is genuinely not getting enough, you should pump to keep your production up or increase production.
    Hm, okay, good to know. To my surprise her diapers are still fine which I know is a much more objective sign that all is well--it's just that last night I was hearing lots and lots of sucking but very little swallowing, which is why it seemed my supply was not keeping up with her for the first time ever. I hate that my little block feeding experiment had to coincide with this latest effect of the reflux (the doctor and also a friend whose son had it both are sure that acting hungry but then refusing to open her mouth is a sign that she's remembering that eating was painful before, and so can't decide if shed rather be hungry or deal with reflux). I really appreciate the reassurance that it's all going to work out okay. This is exhausting---can I blame my inability to keep perspective on the sleep deprivation?

The diaper count is NOT subjective. If it goes in, it comes out. If your baby didn't get enough to eat, she wouldn't make enough wet diapers.

Way too lazy for formula

And you can NOT freak out every time her nursing patterns change! Which is going to happen literally every 4-6 weeks the whole 1st year. Growth spurts make for days of feverish marathon feeding sessions. Teething and hitting milestones causes babies to want to nurse more often. As does learning to crawl. And cruising and crawling makes them so distracted they can barely be bothered to stop to eat! Through all of this, you will, if you nurse on demand make enough milk. Trust your body. Trust your baby. And KNOW that the 6week, 12 week, 4month, and 6 month growth spurts are exhausting. But if you don't panic and continue to feed on demand you will be fine. As women were for thousands of years before formula existed. You were meant to do this Mama. Trust the process.

Way too lazy for formula

i just wanted to add that you're getting to the time soon (2-3 months) when babies just can be extremely horribly fussy, sometimes for no apparent reason. and it will make you crazy to try to find a reason. also some days (and nights) are just going to be incredibly crappy. she will be doing great and awesome and doing everything as you predict/expect. and then there will be a line of days when nothing is as you expect, nothing works, she seems horribly miserable. and then the next day everything is perfect?! and then she gets sick, or you do, the list goes on and on. deep breath and continue you can do it! walks outside really really helped me. i remember pacing outside looking at stars with a very unhappy baby but you do what you have to do.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog