Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lump near armpit

Default lump near armpit

I recently found a lump between my breast & armpit. I'm thinking it's probably a clogged milk duct but not sure. About 10 years ago I found the lump originally and had it checked out. My doctor said it was just lumpy breast tissue. It hasn't changed over the years until now. I've been breastfeeding for 4.5 months now, and this is my first child. The lump has at least doubled in size and if you look you can see it, but it doesn't hurt at all and there's no redness or discoloration at all.

Any ideas?

Default Re: lump near armpit

As your doc notes, there is breast tissue extending all the way into the armpit area. It's called the Tail of Spence- google it! it's fun! Anyway, it's not uncommon for women to get clogged ducts way back in the tail area. Treat it as you would any clogged duct- moist heat, massage, frequent nursing, changing baby's nursing position to ensure thorough drainage. If the lump doesn't ever seem to get any smaller (plugged ducts often feel slightly smaller/softer after nursing), and it persists beyond a week or two, or if you start to have symptoms of mastitis (fever, chills, aches and pains, redness or red streaks, pus-y discharge), then it's time to call the doc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: lump near armpit

with Mommal.

If it is persisting have it checked. There are also lump nodes in that area that can become swollen if there is an infection or other cause for inflammation.