Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipated baby

Default Constipated baby

I am EBF my 3 month old boy. He hasn't had a dirty diaper in three days. He usually goes three times a day at the same times. And he is obviously uncomfortable. I have given him three bottles of EBM with prune juice in them over the past 24hrs. And still nothing. The poor boy is so uncomfortable. What can I do? I feel terrible for him!

Default Re: Constipated baby

Don't panic. After 6 weeks, exclusively breastfed babies may go as infrequently as once a week. You should not suspect constipation in an EBF baby unless:
    - Baby has gone more than a week without pooping
    - Baby seems to be in extreme discomfort when pooping or trying to poop (turns red, strains, cries in pain)
    - The poop is dry, pellet-like, and hard enough to roll right off the diaper if you pick it up

I suggest putting baby in a warm bath. That often relaxes baby enough to let things fly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If your child is exclusively breastfed there is no real chance that it's actual constipation. Because it's only milk. It really is very very normal. Also, don't panic and don't project. Babies grunt and cry whether they go poop or not. The 1st time my baby didn't go for 7 days I was right there. I was SURE that every cry was related to the fact the he was plugged up and miserable. But that was pure projection on my part. Because up until that point my child had gone 3-5times a day. And then he stopped. And on day 7 he was miserable I was sure of it. Only....not really. I mean yeah he fussed. But once I really accepted the fact that often breastfed kids go a week or LONGER without pooping with no ill effect I was never an issue again. The gas will be especially stinky. Because it's traveling past the poop. And then the poop comes it will probably be quite a bit. And rather than the seedy mustardy poop you are used to it will be the color and consistency of peanut butter. And there will be a LOT. All that is normal and not cause for alarm.

Way too lazy for formula

And FTR when I called the Pedi's office they said not to even call them back until it had been at least 9 days. It's just another benefit of breastfeeding. Sometimes you don't have to change poopy diapers everyday!

Way too lazy for formula

Chiming in to say it's NORMAL. All of my kiddos switched over to every other day then once a week poops (watch out when it comes, it can be ALOT) at that age.

Tummy time and keeping your little guy active might help move things along and of course if you're concerned then speak w/your pediatrician!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.