Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old spitting up A LOT!

Default 3 month old spitting up A LOT!

When he was first born, my baby didn't spit up often. As he gets older, he spits up more. He is 15 weeks old now. Within the last two weeks or so, he has been spitting up a lot more--all over himself, me, daddy, grandma, the floor, etc. It looks white with curds. I'm slightly concerned that he's not getting enough digested. I haven't had the chance to weigh him lately (no dr visits) but each time he's weighed he's gained appropriately; he was at the 75% at last month's dr visit. He seems happy and the spit up doesn't bother him. Sometimes he even smiles about it (like when he puked on daddy's face ). Should I be concerned about this? Is there anything we can do to minimize the spitting up?

Default Re: 3 month old spitting up A LOT!

If baby is happy and making enough wet and dirty diapers, there's nothing to worry about. DD1 and DD3 spit up a lot, I mean projectile style of spitting up, not just white with curds. It seemed like they would spit up everything they ate. They were gaining weight, DD1 was at 75% and DD3 at 99% but in their case, they weren't happy so the Dr prescribed an anti-acid and it worked pretty well. If diaper output is ok and he is happy, don't worry about it

with the PP. Happy spitters who are growing normally are a laundry problem, not a health problem. Invest in some bibs and burp cloths and don't forget to swab out your baby's neck folds- spit-up can get in them and cause skin irritation.

Just FYI- you can probably expect a slow-down in weight gain sometime in the next few months. Breastfed babies tend to gain weight fastest during early infancy and then "lean out" as they get into the middle of their first year and become increasingly physically active. I mention it because I don't want you to freak out if your baby has dropped some percentiles at the next check-up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As long as he's gaining weight, I wouldn't worry. It's a phase which will pass. And it's daddy's turn to do laundry, right?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.