Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Strange nursing behavior...

Default Strange nursing behavior...

My 8 (nearly 9) month old baby girl has recently started with rather strange behavior when nursing. She'll latch, drink happily for a short while, then let go and bolt upright for a look around and a chat. Then she'll latch again if I offer the breast again, and this routine will carry on until she eventually refuses to lie down to latch again.
    She doesn't seem all that interested in feeding sometimes and will only have a few sips. When she's tired she'll usually drink very well though (for comfort, I'm guessing?)

I understand that because she's getting older she will drink faster, and that she's probably just getting distracted, but what also boggles my mind is that she definitely shows a preference for my right breast. This has been the case for some time, and as a result I have less milk on the left than the right. I do pump out twice a day at work, but it hasn't made much of a difference. I do try to force myself to always offer the left breast first, but sometimes she will start crying and arching her back away from me and only latch when I offer the right breast.

I'm finding all of the above rather confusing, and nursing has become a less peaceful experience to what it used to be! Any insights??

Default Re: Strange nursing behavior...

Have you tried to bf in a quiet and or dim room? Maybe that'll help her be less distracted? As for the preference of one breast over the other, I've heard several other Mummy's say the same. My DD sometimes goes through wee phases where she'll nurse better on one side than the other, but it can be either side I'm sure the other LLL ladies will chime in with some advice. Just wanted to reasure you that it could just be a normal phase and hopefully it won't last too long.
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

I think you're facing the distractibility of an older baby, pure and simple. The world is too interesting for a busy baby to ignore it for the space of an entire nursing session. I mean, that could be a whole 10 minutes of missed action!

I think the PP's suggestion to try a low-distraction environment is a good one. In addition, keep doing what you're doing and offer that lower-producing breast as often as possible. If you're getting lopsided, a few pump sessions per day for that breast alone may help even out the production between sides. Finally, be patient, because this is just a phase. And stay alert- distracted babies are sometimes the ones that nip.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely going to try a quiet darkened room to see if that helps, and try to make some time to pump on the left only. It's rather frustrating having less milk (and a smaller boob!) on the left!

@Mommal - yes I've been nipped a few times, and it's no fun whatsoever! Trying to discourage that in a nice way.

IME zayne would prefer one side over the other depending on which teeth were coming in. he didn't like the inflamed spot on his gums to be on the underside of the boob. Once all four front top and bottom came in his latched changed though and is no longer a problem. Everytime he is seriously teething he bites as well. So every few weeks I have to reinforce that rule. it usually only takes one time of breaking all contact ( set baby down on the floor) while saying no bite. I walk away for a minute and come back to try again. have you tried that approach?

Not yet, but sounds like that might work! Thank you.