Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast pain

Default Breast pain

For almost a week, my nipples have been sore and my whole breasts (esp the left) have been painful (not unbearable but a little throbbing-like).

At first, i thought it was because my 19 m/o is getting molars and one nipple looks like he hurt it a little. And now today, my period started, so they might be sensitive from that.

But, the left one is really getting uncomfortable tonight, and i just noticed a small, scabbed sore under the nipple-area.

DS only nurses at night; i dont feel any clogged ducts. No fever or other health issues.

Do you think i should wait a few days and see if this is all from my period, or should i call the doctor?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Breast pain

Mama, I'm thinking that this could be thrush, so I'd call the doc. A scab on the nipple could match well with teething- I got one when my LO's vampire-like canines came in. Sore nipples could match with your period. But sore nipples + scab + breast pain sounds like some sort of infection. And thrush is a common cause of pain when it crops up after months of trouble-free nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I got thrush when Joe was almost 2. It took me a while to figure out what it was because I thought we were past all that. It definitely can happen. Personally I would probably try treating with an OTC treatment, and if I see immediate improvement, then I can be pretty sure it's thrush. Some antifungal ointment or GSE should help within a day or two. If it's not enough, then I'd see my doc for Diflucan.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I was going to suggest thrush as well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

So after getting 103 fever at work today, it turned out to be mastitus. Ugh.

If I am ready to wean anyways is there any harm in not emptying that side? I am on an antibiotic
    Or will that just makes things worse?
    ~ Megan

You definitely need to empty it. Either nursing or pumping. And I can tell you from experience that pumping with mastitis can be difficult and painful.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My nipple pain is absolutely horrendous and I'm bleeding a lot. How often do you think I need to nurse on hurt side?
    ~ Megan

As often as possible, I am sorry to say. Your goal should be to drain that infected breast as thoroughly and as frequently as you can.

Gentle , mama. Mastitis is NO FUN. Hope you beat it soon.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ugh. So sorry. Yeah, nursing is super painful but doing it often will help you feel better faster.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Maybe I should have brought my pump to work? Ugh, this sucks.
    ~ Megan