Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transitioning to Nanny

Default Re: Transitioning to Nanny

I wouldn't stay and watch either. Because the first time is pretty much guaranteed not to go perfectly. It's not a reason to stress. Any new caregiver is going to need some transition time for the two to learn each other's cues and needs and habits.

But at the same time I wouldn't put too much faith in your nanny's experience unless it has been with breastfed babies. Caring for a breastfed baby is very different from caring for a formula fed baby. And if she is used to formula feeding she may need some retraining. I've run into this with my caregivers and we see it come up int his forum fairly frequently. Just remember you are the mother and you know your baby better than anyone else in the world.

Make yourself knowledgeable about the best ways to bottle feed your baby and tell her what you want her to do. Don't anticipate trouble, but don't feel like she knows better than you either.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I personally would not stay and watch the bottle feeding. I know that I have a hard enough time when my husband can't calm my newborns down, that it would be nearly impossible for me to watch someone else having issues feeding my child. And if it went perfectly, that would probably bother me too.
    I have a hard time with DH feedings too. He's wonderful with her all other times but he gets impatient and frustrated when bottle feeding doesn't go well.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

I have to agree with still.here. Is she experienced with breastfed babies? What you're saying about your husband getting frustrated and impatient - that's a risk for the caregiver too. My day care provider has had the experience of my two daughters and now her youngest grandson as the only primarily breastfed babies that she has taken care of in 30 years of having an in home daycare. She told me that she was having a hard time not taking it personally when Beatrix was rejecting bottles - she felt like Beatrix was rejecting HER. Which was true, in a sense. My first daughter was a much more avid bottle refuser, so she must have felt the same or worse then, but we didn't have the relationship with each other that we do now.

Also, it seems like a lot of people equate a crying baby with hunger - I know the diaper is ALWAYS the very very last thing my DH ever thinks to check.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I have to agree with still.here. Is she experienced with breastfed babies? What you're saying about your husband getting frustrated and impatient - that's a risk for the caregiver too. My day care provider has had the experience of my two daughters and now her youngest grandson as the only primarily breastfed babies that she has taken care of in 30 years of having an in home daycare. She told me that she was having a hard time not taking it personally when Beatrix was rejecting bottles - she felt like Beatrix was rejecting HER. Which was true, in a sense. My first daughter was a much more avid bottle refuser, so she must have felt the same or worse then, but we didn't have the relationship with each other that we do now.

Also, it seems like a lot of people equate a crying baby with hunger - I know the diaper is ALWAYS the very very last thing my DH ever thinks to check.
    Absolutely she is experienced with BF babies as well as exhausting all options for what's triggering cries. I would not hire someone who is not. I can't be the trial opportunity for someone to gain experience. However no one can predict how it will go with my baby and her or anyone. As many on this forum know it's tough to be in a position where a lot of nursing sessions are getting replaced with bottle feedings. I can't speak for others but I'd stay home longer if it was an option.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12