Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding friendly eating/recipies

Lightbulb Breastfeeding friendly eating/recipies

I've been having trouble with a very gassy 1 month old DD. I've been avoiding caffeine, gassy veggies (like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, onion), acidic fruits, and lactose, but she is still very gassy. We use gas drops occasionally when it gets really bad and we have also tried gripe water and we haven't noticed much difference.

I feel like I'm eating really boring foods and lots of carbs. I need more yummy protein and veggies, but its hard finding creative, yet safe ways to cook. Any ideas?

As a side note: not everyone agrees that I should change my diet or that it affects my breast milk. Anyone have opinions on this?

Default Re: Breastfeeding friendly eating/recipies

what are the symptoms of her gassiness? general grumping is normal; grouchiness is also normal. there is a lot going on upstairs at 1mo.

it is normal for babies her age to be fussy, for no apparent reason. and yes, your diet could def influence your babe's reaction, mood, diapers, etc.. but, food sensitivities are pretty easy to latch on to.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

She does burp after eating, but she also is farting a lot! We massage her belly which sometimes helps, but she is really uncomfortable. Lots of high pitched (all of a sudden) crying which is relieved by passing gas. She calms right down after getting the gas out.

You may be interested in this link on diet and breastfeeding: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...d-sensitivity/

The foods you're avoiding mostly sound like the wrong ones to me. What I mean is that in general the foods that cause babies to have gas are not the same ones that cause adults to have gas. Most moms can consume all sorts of "gassy" vegetables and not have it impact their babies at all. And lactose is almost never a problem for babies, since babies are DESIGNED to digest lactose. Lactose intolerance is only rarely found in babies, and when it is, that's a true health concern, not just something that causes gas. Lactose intolerance is generally a condition that develops later in life, a the ability to produce the enzyme which breaks down lactose wanes with age. Dairy protein intolerance, however, is relatively common.

Often when a baby has gas, the problem is not what mom is eating, but rather baby's eating style (is she a gulper, swallowing lots of air as she nurses?) or mom's milk supply (oversupply of milk often causes gassiness).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She does seem to gulp when shes eating and shes even choked a few times and pulled off leading me to think I may have a forceful let down at times.

I meant to say cows milk instead of lactose and kellymom.com also mentions cows milk. My DD has also been having eye and nose congestion. She was prescribed an antibiotic drop for her eye because it had green drainage. Im wondering if a food sensitivity is contributing? Not sure. I have a sensitiviy to wheat. I have to say though that abiding by a gluten free, cows milk free diet is hard. I probably should go back on my gluten free diet?

Honestly, I would not eliminate any foods unless they are bothering you or unless youstart to see real signs of allergy in your baby- things like excema or asthma or hives or bloody poops that are unrelated to oversupply. I know that kind of goes against the conventional wisdom that breastfeeding moms need to be so careful with their diets...! But I honestly feel that women torture themselves over their diets, thinking that they can control their babies' fussiness and gassiness, when the fact is that these things are likely to have causes unrelated to mom's diet. Like a baby just being a baby, or fast letdowns.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with mommal-I have over-production and fast letdown and have with all three kids...Often there is nothing you need to do except let time & simple cue feeding-(feeding baby when baby wants and letting baby 'finish' the first breast before switching...in other words, follow baby's lead) to regulate your supply...but gas, including some gas pain and crying due to it (babies have no other way to react to discomfort except to cry and/or nurse, pretty much) is just normal. Do you have older kids? Mine get a kick out of how loud baby toots sometimes...

I think it's really hard to deal with the normal discomforts of a newborn if you are still at the stage baby is not smiling yet. It can feel like baby is never 'happy.'

Eliminating foods from moms diet when breastfeeding is only very rarely needed.

I dont have any other children. First one so this is allll new! I just feel the need to try to help her in some way with this gas. The other day I had hummus and for the next 24-48 hours she had increased gassiness. Its hard for me to think that there is no correlation. Also, I had red wine the other day then noticed redness around her bottom. It went away within a day.

Another thing is that ever since DD was born my stomach hasnt been able tolerate milk and milk products. I have never been lactose intolerant before. Plus, Im already intoeralnt to wheat and should be abiding by a gluten free diet.

If you are not sticking to wheat free that might be causing the dairy issues as well. Do you have Celiac? If you have Celiac or a non-Celiac gluten intolerance your digestive system might be out of whack to the point that you can't digest dairy well either, since it's generally hard to digest. Lactose-intolerance is a secondary symptom to Celiac.

I agree with others that the problem is more likely to be OS based on what you describe with the gulping and choking. I'm betting that the hummus was a coincidence.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I havent been sticking to my GF diet since the middle of my pregnancy. I can try to go back on it and see.

I could be having over supply, but Ive only recently been able to start storing small amounts of BM for my return to work. I do think I have a forceful let down though which causes her to gulp and choke occasionally. If she gulps air, shouldnt she burp it up? She seems to have a lot of gas from below. Thats usually produced by bacterial in your colon.