Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I bought some mothers milk tea

Default I bought some mothers milk tea

First off, good day! My LO is 17 weeks old and has been EBF with 3 bottles of PBM a week. We have had amazing success (thanks to you lovely ladies). Last week she had a hard time nursing, not entirely sure why, she slept a lot, cried a bit, I know she's fighting a wee cold and had some congestion. I tired to pump as much as I could but nearly impossible when I have her (I have a hand pump I use and need two hands because I am not lacking in boobs). So I've noticed a pretty severe dip in my right breast. I also have some kind of hardness in my left breast but we are working on it and seems like it will be a non issue.

Back to the question, with all of this information, her outputs are good. Would it hurt for me to drink a little of this tea? It also says some of these herbs can cause menstration, should I worry about that? I don't want to drink this get a little boost and then lose my supply, which before this point has always been good and strong. She seems to be growing and happy, just really ticked off when at my right breast. Nothing comes out when I pump either. She hits that side and it's very sad. I start her on that side, wait and see, switch sides, let her finish and switch her back to finish but I'm not sure it's doing anything. Sorry this is messy but my mind is a wreck. Deal with ppd, no sleep, irratation at my DH and now this. Thanks for your help

Default Re: I bought some mothers milk tea

Sorry for the stresses, mama. I'm sure others will chime in with more wisdom about getting that right breast back on track, but I would say just nurse, nurse, nurse. I'm sure her cold and congestion had something to do with it.

I just wanted to reassure you that the Mothers Milk tea should be fine. I drank it the entire year i was nursing/pumping for DS and I didn't start my period until I stopped nursing/pumping. This time, I've been drinking at least one cup a day - DD is six months and I'm still period -free. No worries - it's safe!

Good luck and hope things get better for you.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Thank you so much for the reply. It's funny how things will be really good then almost feel like they plumit. I had two cups of tea yesterday, one early in the day and one at bed time. I actually quite like it. And I may be crazy but this morning I had two let downs from right breast. I feel really good about that. And my left, it was fine, just poured into my hand as I nursed her from the right.i feel so much better with that happening. I never want her to starve and I felt like I wasn't satisfying her. I just hope it isn't short lived and I will continue to practice all the great tricks I've learned here so far. *sigh* relief.

Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Mother milk tea with for sure not hurt. You do have to drink a lot to get effects, like 3 cups per day I think.

How is the hardness on one side doing? That concerns me that it's a backup that we need to handle or you can get mastitis.

Also pumping is not an indicator of supply so don't worry about that output with hand pumping mama, watch baby's output and signs. Hope everyone is on the mend soon!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

So far I have been drinking two cups a day, one early and one late. Like I'm having my evening tea now. I like how its replaced my want for coffee and my evening pop. I'm going to look for it in bulk unless there is another suggestion? I don't want to create over supply in my left side. You shouldn't freeze over supply milk right? Anyway you look at it, over supply isn't good?

The firmness in my left side is gone, I jumped right on it! Thank goodness! I nursed and nursed on that side, did a hot shower and left a warm damp rag on it, massaged it and nursed some more.
    Thank you for the concern!

To make sure I don't run into that again I've been lightly pumping my left side after she nurses from the right. I've been paying closer attention to my right side and I'm sure that's how I got to where I was, with the firmness on the left side. So I think I'm back on track. Also got some sleep, talked things over with DH and had the best shower ever! I feel almost back to my new normal. I'm so proud of myself and how far I've come.

On a great side note, a little funny, my mom tells EVERYONE that I breastfeed! No jokeing lol. Babies r us, post office, credit union, an old neighbor we ran into, everyone! I thought she was proud when I graduated she's more proud of this I think lol (just kidding.....maybe).

Amazing ladies, averted another crisis thank you!