Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thumbsucking

Default Re: Thumbsucking

My son will suck his thumb on and off. Any ideas on how to encourage this habit? I was a thumb sucker for a long, long time (fond memories) and I'd love it if he took up the habit.

Smile Re: Thumbsucking

Quote Originally Posted by tjheath78 View Post
    Update:

He is 4 months old now and still sucking his thumb like crazy. He even tries to put it in his mouth while he is nursing. I don't know if this is a good thing or not
    My LO does the same thing and she often tries to put her shirt sleeve in with her latch too. I recently started using a nursing necklace for the problem while nursing but that does not help with the "cue: part of your question. For the cue...I have not figured it out completely. I guess just ofter to feed and see is your LO wants it.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My LO starting sucking his thumb at a month old. He only does so at certain times: 1 is hunger, 2 when he is tired, or 3 if he hurts himself. Now Aiden is 9 months old, he could be crawling across the floor, I ask him "Are you hungry?" he'll stop in his tracks and start to suck his thumb. It is the cutest thing, and has never interfered with nursing. Sometimes he will pull off and suck his thumb, then I know he needs to be burped. You will learn all of your LO's signs or "sign language" in time.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

My lo (4.5 mos) doing the same. I've noticed that he starts to chew on thumb and shoves a few more fingers in his mouth when hungry. Recently, he let me know he was hungry by trying to latch on to chin, nose, cheek. Or else that was just his first attempts at a kiss, lol.

Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399 View Post
    My daughter is 7 months old and has been sucking her thumb since she was about 3 or 4 months old. It is her way of self-soothing. She won't take a pacifier and has no problems nursing, she just uses her thumb to make herself feel better. I wouldn't worry about it at all or its affects on your nursing relationship.
    My son is the same age and has been nursing for the same length of time. It's totally a comfort thing and it's actually very nice because he soothes himself to sleep. The only concern I have is if he continues to do it until he's older and it harms his teeth.